Whats cheaper, conrete block or timber frame constuction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to build a large workshop 14m x 7m
The plans are passed and now i'm facing building regs.

The original plan was to build in timber frame, but i have been advised that i'll need to appoint a structural engineer to design the spec for the timber frame.

I have since been told that if i build with breeze block i won't need a structural engineer, and it would work out cheaper.

But...Timber frame I can physically manage myself, block work is too heavy for me, which means i would need to appoint a builder, which takes me to another question...Which is cheaper, a builder or a structural engineer?

Sponsored Links
You should not need an engineer, if the frame is standard 8x4 panels.

can you please go into more detail of what you mean when you say 8x4?
I'm not aware that 8x4 wall panels exist unless you construct them yourself which means having to have specifications from a structural engineer.

If you make standard 8x4 panels with OSB sheets, and 90 or 140 CLS timber, and fix them together just like any other timber frame building, then you should not need an engineer as it is just standard construction.

Sponsored Links
hmm, are you certain about this? if i put this to my building control dept. will they accept this "cop out" ijm sure theyll ask me about window and door openings, and lintels, as well as corner joining etc.

What your proposing sounds too simple for building regs fussyness.
has your method been proven in practice with BR?

You need to argue this with your local inspectors. Or use a private inspector .

My local councils have accepted standard timber framed design.

Obviously you need to know how to frame the building though, and form the extra struts at openings and box beams or timber lintels.

Anyway, to answer the question. An engineer should cost no more than £200 (two hours) to prove racking resistance for a timber frame. Everything else should be straight-forward and not need any calcs unless you are putting in long beams.

Your choice of cladding material and boundary fire resistance measures will bump up the m2 rate compared to masonry. But a masonry wall will need deeper foundations.

If you're DIYing, then timber frame should be cheaper, but it's all in the detail

As the predominant forms of construction in this country I'd expect they would be about the same, when one considers the speed of build, labour input and materials cost

But then one assumes if he does a timber frame himself then time is not a huge factor and his labour is free .......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back