What's going on with this toilet cistern?!

RDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with this boxed-in mess, please? Hoping someone's seen this type of toilet before.

The main valve needs replacing, which (I assume) is only accessible from underneath, I removed the boxing in, because that's obviously how you access it...except you don't...

How do I access the underneath of the cistern? I don't want to remove the tile on the other side if that will be as fruitless!

Also, any help regarding the correct valve I'd need would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any help!

Attachments

• what-is-going-on-v0-6zlo7afi2vxa1.jpg
    what-is-going-on-v0-6zlo7afi2vxa1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 91
  • what-is-going-on-v0-c9g1qskj2vxa1(1).jpg
    what-is-going-on-v0-c9g1qskj2vxa1(1).jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 81
  • what-is-going-on-v0-lfn27dqi2vxa1.jpg
    what-is-going-on-v0-lfn27dqi2vxa1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 86
  • what-is-going-on-v0-tc7d9a4i2vxa1.jpg
    what-is-going-on-v0-tc7d9a4i2vxa1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 65
  • what-is-going-on-v0-wzm4bq0j2vxa1.jpg
    what-is-going-on-v0-wzm4bq0j2vxa1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
You would need to remove the toilet ,pulling it outward,to change the float valve.
Why do you want to change it ,does it not fully close when filling ? If so ,it would make more sense to service the valve in situ.

• Thanks
Reactions: RDD
Thanks for that, surely everything is hard soldered in place though, to the pipework behind, how can you move the whole thing when it's attached to inflexible pipes?

So the valve works to an extent, but the adjustment thread (if you will) has been so messed with it's basically threaded now, so it's knackered. It does fill up to the correct point, but it keeps stopping and starting as it fills, probably a 1 or 2-second fill, then stops, until it's up to the correct level, which of course hammers the pipes.

Original plumber mush have been able to get it in, so possibly on a flexi hose connection? Otherwise you could renew the top section if possible?

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Ahh, that might make sense, thanks for that. The bolts at the bottom may mean the cistern portion alone could be removed with flex hose attached to the valves etc.

The only potential issue I could see with that is the bolts are likely to have some form of nut on them, so, either way you cut it, you'd still need at least some form of access to the underside, otherwise, you couldn't tighten them back up. This is turning into a bit of a nightmare, it could have been so simple (but nothing in our house ever is)!

Again ,you will need to remove the wc to remove the cistern and / or replace the valve. The fitter couldn't connect the supply to rigid pipe with your set up ,the soil pipe would block any realistic access.
I don't recognise your float valve make / model ,if it's telescopic you may be able to remove the top half ( leaving the fixed half in situ ) but you would need to source an identical valve ,to swap parts over.

• Thanks
If you just need to remove the flush valve, you don’t need to remove the cistern. Just rotate it 180 degrees and it pops out. Take to nearest plumbers merchant and get a new one. Reverse to put back in.

• Thanks
Again ,you will need to remove the wc to remove the cistern and / or replace the valve. The fitter couldn't connect the supply to rigid pipe with your set up ,the soil pipe would block any realistic access.
I don't recognise your float valve make / model ,if it's telescopic you may be able to remove the top half ( leaving the fixed half in situ ) but you would need to source an identical valve ,to swap parts over.

So what would happen when the whole unit is pulled forward, would the soil pipe still be attached or would that also be on some form of flex pipe do you think? Or would it be something very similar to this?

Attachments

• Path-of-Leaking-Water-©.jpg
    Path-of-Leaking-Water-©.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
If you just need to remove the flush valve, you don’t need to remove the cistern. Just rotate it 180 degrees and it pops out. Take to nearest plumbers merchant and get a new one. Reverse to put back in.

Thanks for that, I've actually replaced that unit in the past, and I wish it was that easy again! On this occasion, though I'm pretty sure it's the fill valve that's cutting on and off, and that's through the cistern (and potentially the whole unit) :cry:

Ah ok I see. Yes if you were to pull the whole pan and cistern away from the wall, you wouldn’t see something like the photo you posted. If you’re lucky, the plumber would’ve fitted flexi attachments so you would have a bit of play. There should also be an isolation valve on the mains too which will make it easier. Good luck

• Thanks
Ah ok I see. Yes if you were to pull the whole pan and cistern away from the wall, you wouldn’t see something like the photo you posted. If you’re lucky, the plumber would’ve fitted flexi attachments so you would have a bit of play. There should also be an isolation valve on the mains too which will make it easier. Good luck

Thanks for confirming, it's making more sense now!

So what would happen when the whole unit is pulled forward, would the soil pipe still be attached or would that also be on some form of flex pipe do you think? Or would it be something very similar to this?
Something similiar ,with flexible pan connector or possibly a rigid pan connector.

• Thanks
Looks to me like a "Flush Daddy" bottom entry fill valve. If you buy the whole valve you can probably service it from the top i.e. swap out (again probably) the diaphragm washer.

Something similiar ,with flexible pan connector or possibly a rigid pan connector.

So just for future reference, if anyone searches and encounters something similar, it was exactly what you said (i.e. a pretty big job, so I ended up leaving it to the pro's), thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back