Advice needed on replacing syphon on concealed cistern with back to wall pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
our bathroom flush is on its way out and looks like the diaphragm is split.

unfortunately we have a back to wall pan with the water cistern behind the Tiled plasterboard wall. My only access to the cistern in only at the top where we have a shelve.

It appears that I will need to unscrew the toilet syphone from underneath the completely hidden part of the cistern which I cant get to. which is a bit silly by design for a concealed system. This might mean having to completely removing the Tiles and plasterboard in front of the cistern and maybe even the toilet pan as well

My questions are :-

1) Cant I really change the syphon from the top?. The toilet was done in early 80s as part of the house build so not sure how I can tell if can be removed without access to base of cistern
2) Assuming (1) is impossible these are old tiles cream tiles which the colour or maybe even the size no longer exist. My plan was to try and remove the tiles off the plasterboard and soak in water for a long period of time hoping that will removed the adheisives so I can reuse. If this fails please what are my best options for creating a decent finish

Thanks

Carlton

Sponsored Links
With some syphons there can be a nut to undo and the part you want to get to then lifts out, others have a pin to release.

A couple photos might help?

Concealed cisterns behind any decorative surface are the very invention of the devil. ALWAYS installed by that mysterious 'trade' who call themselves Bathroom Fitters, and have no concept that future maintenance will be needed. Happy new year. Pass me the tylenol.

Sponsored Links
What type of syphon is it?
Can you not remove the pan and get to the backnut from there?

Here are 2 pics. There are no Isolation valve on the water feed.

front.JPG top.JPG

Can't see from your photo but tie the ball float up (so it doesn't drop and start filling the cistern again) and flush the mechanism.

Then get a torch and have a good look down and around to see if the valve is one of these...
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/our-pr...dmasterr-pro-universal-dual-flush-syphon.html

If it is, you're in luck. There are a couple of other brands that utilise an 'outlet leg' which allows top level removal of the syphon!

You're going to have to find out how to isolate the wc supply be it tank or mains fed, so I'd look into that first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back