What's happened to my hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last week (since the start of this really cold weather) my shower only gets warm at best.

Before this I was having piping hot showers.

I have a combi boiler and the water to the kitchen and the bathroom basin is fine, lovely and hot.

The shower is a Mira element and stands above the bath. It's also a struggle to now get hot water out of the bath tap.

My bathroom was redone in the summer. It used to have no bath, just a basin and a mira shower in a shower enclosure. The new shower has gone in the same place but the pipes are new etc. I didn't have this problem with my old shower last winter when it was freezing outside.

I've tried it with the heating on and off, and tried running the basin first, then turning the shower on. I've also tried every shower head spray setting.

When running the kitchen or bathroom basin tap my boiler is showing a temp of around 55. When I turn the shower on, it drops to about 30.

Any advice gratefully received, as not strong enough to brave lukewarm showers at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Colder mains in. You will have more flow with the shower in use than the sink & bath taps so may notice it there. :?:

Also, check to see if your rads start to warm when your are drawing off hot water.

Mr. W.

Thanks for your reply. My heating is on at the moment so I can't check if the radiators get warm when I run the shower, but I will later.

I've just tried running the shower with the cold tap in the sink basin running, and it's defintely hotter, but not hot enough for me to want to get in it :LOL: , and it seems horribly wasteful to have to run the cold tap to have a shower.

With the basin cold tap running the boiler showed 38 to 40, and with the bath cold tap and basin cold tap running it went up to 50! With neither running it stayed around 30.

Does it make a difference if the heating is on or off do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back