What's happening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painted this room about 9 months ago with a special paint thats suppose to keep the room a couple of degrees warmer. The rest of the room is Ok, just this piece. The paint is bubbling up.
Photos are in my albums.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Quite strange looking in a circle !!!!! I would scrape it off as much as possible and use an Alkali Resisting paint to seal the area, then use a coat of oil based undercoat before repainting in your finishing coat.

No paint on this earth will keep a room 'a couple of degrees warmer'.

There are thermal insulating wall-linings which claim to keep the heat in (and generally do), but not paint.

What make is it?

Think it was called Thermalite, expensive. Google thermal paints and there is a few different brands. Don't think they work though as the mould is back.
Still doesn't explain these circles.

Sponsored Links
I agree that thermal paints are not anywhere near as good as the thermal liners that are available. If you (or anyone else) want to use it in future though, I would suggest using the Thermalmix additive (produced by Thermalite) to another brand of emulsion - it works out at about half the price and you can then have any colour you choose - and it does exactly the same job as the Thermalite paint!! I hate the finish of both those products though - it just looks like textured masonry paint.

Back to the point of your post... I think there may be some sort of moisture issue emanating from that socket. As the circles are directly surrounding it, I would imagine there is some moisture which dries out and then comes back.

What is on the other side of that wall? Was the area around the socket patched up before you painted? :confused:

This was a small extension(14sq.m.) with 2 x 4" vents in the end wall. Have had nothing but trouble with it. Flat roof leaked, mould everywhere, solid wood floor erupted in middle, unbelievable.
Damp course should be Ok as we are in a high Radon area and must have a Radon barrier.
The corner where the light switch is attached to an old lean-to stone coal bunker. Think I will have to separate it from my wall.
Just to the left of the switch is a double glazed window and in the corner by the switch small flies gather for some strange reason.
Haven't done any work around the switch except paint a couple of times trying to get rid of the mould.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back