What's it like been an Electrician?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After doing extensive DIY wiring on my house and new extension, and finding I thoroughly enjoyed the physical and technical aspect of it, I am half considering investigating how to get qualified and do it as a career.

I have a degree in Chemistry from a top university, but gave up working in laboratories to become a guitar teacher, which is what I am now. I am 28.

So what is it like being an electrician? Does it take long to get qualified? How do I get qualified? Is it a job I could do up until retirement (does the physical aspect get to you after a bit)? Does it pay well? Anything else I would need to consider?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------
The Neighbour of The Beast, 665.

Not an expert, just a damn good amateur.

Sponsored Links
dont bother

there are electricians and electricans, all start off the same but then you have commercial / industrial and domestic then you have the "ologys" with degrees etc.

but it is not an old mans job, there is a LOT of hard graft, pulling in cables that are bigger than your arm, bending conduit, installing brackets for cable tray, the wires have little to do with it.

domestic electricans bash houses for chasing cables etc

its hard graft, as you get older you idealy move onto something easier, why do you suppose maintenance sparks are old?

Hmm, OK, interesting. Thanks.

You see, when I left school (early 90s), everybody was told to go as far as they could in education, there being no jobs and a recession looming etc. So I did.

But the thing is, I really enjoy hard graft: I worked in a concrete pipe factory for 2 weeks for work experience, have laboured for my builders for 16 weeks solid and as I said, done extensive work on my house. "An honest day's work" and all that.

Fair enough though, I'm comfortable enough, and get paid very reasonably to play guitar all day.

you must also bear in mind this is just my opinion, but also people want lights in carparks, when? when its cold raining or snowing thats when.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I don't know. I haven't finished yet.
LOL! I was awaiting for Ban to charge in with the grammar lesson. (Or else I was tempted to do it myself :LOL: )

Customer: What's this?

Waiter: It's bean soup, Sir

Customer: I don't care what it's been, I want to know what it is now...

============================================

Did you hear about the vegetarian cannibal?

He only ate human beans.

If you spend all day using power tools and hammering, you will lose some of your playing ability. I am a bass player (but I also play guitar when I feel like doing something easy ;) ) and I find that if I have spent a day hammering away or even sawing wood, I lose a little dexterity. It comes back after a few days but I suspect if you end up doing 5 days a week, 45 weeks a year then you will end up with stronger, but less flexible hands.

Next time you have a car serviced, look at the fingers of any knarly old mechanic: they're like sausages.

I work for myself in a woodwork related proffession. I used to be envious of the ££££ a good chippie can earn. Not any more. I'm age 45 and if I was a carpenter/ joiner I'd be beginning to get knackered. As it is I can pace myself. I know carpenters, carpet fitters, builders etc and the general view is that by mid forties, you're knackered. At 28, I could move mountains and a 10 hour day on physical work was all in my stride. Couldn't do it now :oops:

Which is all very well and true enough. Just remember that the average age of building workers in this country is somewhere in their 50's.

So maybe they will not mind you taking it easy a bit.

OK, thanks for all the posts. Like I said, I was only half-considering it, but not anymore! I'll stick to the DIY.

And if this is meant to goad me:

AdamW said:
I am a bass player (but I also play guitar when I feel like doing something easy ;) )

I will not dignify it with a response! ;) (obviously apart from the response 'I will not dignify it with a response!') :D

i don't think you should be put off. You obviously have the intelligence to be able to do it. You obviously have the ability to learn. Don't let electricians kid you... they earn good money and have excellent lighting in their own homes ha ha.

I think that if you can spare a few more years of study the you should go for it. I agree i have been doing a bit around the house, with an electrician just learning the basics, then coming on this forum and asking questions so that i can ask the electrician and even sometimes challenge him, it's great.....

Simply stuff like learning how to put back boxes on and how to wire up a lighting circuit from the cu etc....

The guys on this forum are great... i do think that being an electrician is not something that one should take lightly, i think that it is physically demanding but it also offers a level of mental challenge and congnitive thought. It's not something that i would like to do as an occupation, there is a big difference between diy and a qualified electrician. If the guys on this forum perform in reality like they do with passion and critique in their posts, with attention to great detail then i would be glad to have them work on my house at a very good rate of pay.

andemz said:
there is a big difference between diy and a qualified electrician.

Very true. If a DIYer takes on a project and totally f's it up (if they misjudge the amount of work or skill required), then they can call in a tradesman, and get it sorted out. If you are a tradesman, the buck stops with you. You can't just think "Ooops, this was too much for me" and call in a bigger boy to finish it. Well, you could but you wouldn't stay in business very long. :eek:

I did look into the studying myself. It's defintely not 1 evening a week stuff and is a major time committment.

But the experience of learning is sometimes worth it even if you decide not to pursue it as a career afterwards. Apart from anything else you'll be qualified to bugger about with your own house as much as you like. Also you could do work on the side, evenings, weekends etc.

Still chewing it over myself!

Even just from the experience of doing my kitchen I'd concur that a lot of the 'electrical' work I did was really building work.

mrscalex said:
Also you could do work on the side, evenings, weekends etc.

not really after Jan 1st 2005. Part P comes into play and all work must be inspected. This rather spoils a lot of things. You could either go the illegal route and ignore the new rules or separately employ another registered sparks to inspect your work. (expensive and inconvenient)

To become registered yourself (2381 + 2391 + NIC type membership + test equipment + calibration + annual re-assesment) would not be cost effective just doing 'work on the side' as the annual cost of compliance makes this unviable financially.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back