whats more secure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are looking into new doors, front and back, mostly inclined to go for wood, looked after there longer lasting. However i would like some oppinions as to which are most secure, a uPVC or wood door? thanks.

Sponsored Links
wood

preferably hardwood

preferably do not put the letterbox in the front door, put it beside the door (hinge side) far from the lock, as it is possible to manipulate a key or handle through the letterbox with a simple home-made tool.

For the front door, fit a BS mortice deadlock plus a BS (preferably, otherwise double-locking) nightlatch, plus a chain

For the back door, a BS mortice sashlock plus mortice bolts top and bottom

If you buy your deadlock and sashlock from a proper locksmith or lock centre, you can have them both suited to the same key for a modest exra charge, this is very convenient as it saves having to carry, copy or mislay so many keys. I have my back doors and garage personal door on the same key as well.

Don't be fooled by the UPVC salesman, who'll have you believing a plastic door, with its multi-point locking mechanism, with it's hardened hooks etc. etc. is more secure than fort knox. Wooden door every time, and follow the advice above on hardware.

locks are for honest people.composite maybe????.

hardwood should be banned as was ivory,that would save a lot of rainforest at no cost.

Sponsored Links
Possibly my memory is at fault, but was it not you Chukka, who on another thread described how you cut down all the trees on a plot, before applying for planning permission , to avoid planning problems ?

@ Chukka

Below is what you wrote in the thread entitled "Eucalyptus tree and foundations"

felled all trees near my proposed new bungalow before applying for planning permission.problem solved

Now you might say that it's not the same, but is it just me who finds your strident call for the preservation of hardwoods somewhat at variance with what you wrote above ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back