What's my best choice, a timber or a concrete floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am replacing 2 floors (ground) in a property which was built in 1896.

I have removed both floors, one was a timber one with the floorboards laid on loose joists which in turn were laid on bricks directly on the earth.
The other floor was quarry tiles laid directly onto the earth.

I initially was going to concrete both rooms (adjoining) but recently thought it would be better to board it because I still have to install new electrics, gas and water plumbing etc underneath and I could leave the boards loose until all the services are in.

So, what are the pros and cons ?

I know about insulation and ventilation, and I will have to inform building control, but would like some opinions or does it come down to costs ?

Oh, if I go for a timber floor I will have to build a ’honeycomb’ wall and will have a lot more digging out to do.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Easier to replace like for like, depends on what floor covering will be going down tough. Much easier to tile a solid floor.
Bring the solid floor up to scratch with dpm and insulation. Also insulate between the joists in the timber floor. Ensure airbricks are present/clear.

Thanks for your reply Deluks,
one room will be a lounge with carpet and the other will be a kitchen with some sort of vinyl covering.

I think a timber floor would work out cheaper but would require a lot more work (digging out)

Still scratching my head,

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back