Whats my best option here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumbing up the new shower, and it was time to get into the loft and fit the new shower head,

in order to strengthen the head i put some spare plywood up above the plasterboard, and threaded the shower "arm?" through, the problem is once the nut is tightened up, there is no thread left to attach any pipework.

I need to extend the thread somehow, ive seen some extenders but they dont really extend the thread they just give more length, and just enough thread to attach your pipework, which wont be enough to add the nut to tighten it up.

Any suggestions? thanks

IMG_20151219_224026820.jpg

IMG_20151219_223849560.jpg

IMG_20151219_223838820.jpg

IMG_20151219_224220113.jpg

Sponsored Links
the problem with that is it wont hold the shower head up tight to the ceiling, as they are too thin and slip through the hole. I could put a washer on first but then you have one of two issues, either the tap connector becomes tight before the shower head is tight to the ceiling so it wobbles around, or the shower head gets tight to the celiling before the tap connector is tight to the shower head so it leaks. its a bit of a conundrum.

can i get something that would extend the thread say 100mm i could then build another platform slightly higher up and bolt everything down to that instead? im struggling to figure out what to google for.

thanks

Sponsored Links
with that though how do i ensure the collar is lights against the ceiling and the thread is tight and waterproof in the elbow? could one not get tight before the other?

Is there no adjustment in the collar? If not then it will just need careful measurement - perhaps put it all together then fix the timber in the loft last once it is pulled up tight to the ceiling? Common to use PTFE for the joint but it isn't under any pressure anyway.

ahh i never thought about tightening up the collar! i thought it had too say tight down at the end of the thread! that makes more sense to me now! (you can tell this is my first bathroom install!

youve sparked another question for me there then, should i pressure test the shower pipes after the diverter valve perhaps by adding and end cap to the pipework before adding the shower to test for leaks, or could i damage the valve doing this?

33291.jpg

right so i think what ill do is get one of these, screw it down to the ply wood with the copper pipe going up into the loft and the brass thread going down toward the bathroom, then PFTE the thread on the shower, screw it up into the loft, then tighten the collar onto the ceiling, which should hold it all together, everyone happy this is correct?

thanks for the suggestions

right all sorted! thanks again!

IMG_20151220_152324694.jpg

Solution was the pipe in the previous post, and turning the collar tight to the ceiling

IMG_20151220_153726425.jpg

I had to add another layer of ply on top of the existing in order that were wasnt too much thread on show below, but that was simple enough, and everything is rock solid now.

IMG_20151220_153801328.jpg
IMG_20151220_153857656.jpg

I decided not to use an elbow in the loft area, im probably way off but feel like every time i add an elbow im reducing flow, the area isnt likely to be disturbed anyway as its not near the usable area of the loft. Hopefully the pipe insulation is fine?

im really happy with it anywas so thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back