What's on my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Property was built 1904 with a cavity wall. Whilst removing wall paper from internal wall there is a green sticky when wet substance covering the wall; is it a sealer? mould retention sealer? is it safe to remove, fumes etc. Anyone know what it is? I believe it was put on during construction to seal the lime mortar?

Sponsored Links
Property was built 1904 with a cavity wall. Whilst removing wall paper from internal wall there is a green sticky when wet substance covering the wall; is it a sealer?
no
mould retention sealer?
no
is it safe to remove, fumes etc.
yes
Anyone know what it is?
distemper was put on lime plaster to allow it to dry and to absorb carbon dioxide from the air in order to harden.
I believe it was put on during construction to seal the lime mortar?
not to seal - as a temporary decoration, much as contract emulsion is used today.

Wouldn`t it do all that chemical stuff without the distemper :confused: My M8 left his house for 10 years with pink walls and grey ceilings - un painted plaster :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back