What's required here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to open this up as per blue line. The wall is a brick wall, and I believe it's structural as it's up the middle of my 2 bed terraced. The upstairs joists sit on this wall.

I'm assuming I'll need a builder in to do the job. Would it just be a case of installing a small RSJ or not as involved as that?

Screenshot_20201120-094648.png

Sponsored Links
Is this an under-the-stairs space?

If so, and the span would be - 1m? - a couple of 175 x 50 C24 timbers screwed together to make a beam would be fine. 100mm bearing each end - no need for padstones - dead easy to fix plasterboard to - job done.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
Yes it's under the staircase. It leads into the cellar (through door and turn right)

How would I go about removing bricks to left of wall? Assuming I need supports while doing it?

What is a 100mm bearing? I probably know, just not by that name.

Edit: when I take the door casing out, would I run the timber from the right hand side of door opening All the way to the wall on the left.

I'm assuming there is a lintel above the opening already....
Thanks.

Last edited:
There might be a 4x4 timber lintel over the frame, or they may have built the brickwork directly off the frame.

Hire a Strongboy and put it just above where the new lintel goes; on such a short span, the brickwork either side should stay intact.
2020-11-20_155013.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's really helpful thanks very much!

Do I use a chisel to cut 100mm out if brick?

Would you fill with sand/cement or expanding foam?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back