What's the best 'grab' adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to secure a few window boards in my conservatory and living room, and assumed that No Nails would be the best stuff to use - it costs enough!

But after speaking to a guy at a joinery place, he reckoned the best stuff was 'Gripfill'. I know you can get this from screwfix and its about half the price. Is this the right stuff, and is it good?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Gripfill is one of the best and strongest in my opinion. I have just just used their "pink grip" to put up my tudor woodwork on the exterior of my house. Cracking stuff.

iirc no more nails is rather runny,as robbie has said defo use pink grip but i think it costs a bit more then normal gripfil.

There is no best, and they all do the job which they are intended to do.

The £1.29 stuff from SF sticks just as well as the £4.99 stuff

Sponsored Links
Ive used both gripfill and pinkgrip.I would choose pinkgrip out of these two but recently ive been using 'sticks like sh*t',it does exactly what is says on the.......tube :eek:

The solvent-based ones tend to be a bit more difficult to apply than the non-solvent but they definitely stick better.

I use SLS*** for the heavy duty stuff and a non-solvent Gripfil/Megagrip/Whatevers-Cheapect for the rest

So Pink grip is a better version of the normal gripfill stuff?

cheers

Do the gripfill / pinkgrip have immediate grabbing power like no more nails ultra does?

I used NMNU on skirting and it gripped well but several weeks later I noticed it had pulled away slightly from the wall in one corner. I was a bit stingy with applying it cos I was running out. They don't seem to go that far these gun tubes.

Do the gripfill / pinkgrip have immediate grabbing power like no more nails ultra does?

This depends on what you are trying to stick down....E.G if you are fixing skirting board to a straight wall with no humps or bumps in it then this should give a good solid hold.
Apply the adhesive to the back of skirting in a zigzag pattern with a bead approx 6mm leaving a gap of about 10-12mm from top of skirting edge.
Place skirting in the desired position and manipulate the skirting side to side or up and down to spread the adhesive and help get a better grab.
Am i making sense here? :rolleyes:

However, if your wall is not truely flat and you do have humps and bumps then you will have to support/fix skirting temporarily until the adhesive sets.

I usually try to warm the tube of adhesive to room temperature(ish) because i find that if i get it out of a cold van then it is harder to apply and doesnt seem to have the same grabbing capabilities.

apologies for jumping on this thread, but do these instant grab adhesives stick to glass? my lad wants to put beading round his lizard tank but he`s not sure what to use.
cheers in advance.

Personally i would use clear silicone to stick beading onto glass or 3M do a good double sided adhesive tape which would probably give a neater finish......ask the lizard what he'd prefer :LOL:

Personally i would use clear silicone to stick beading onto glass or 3M do a good double sided adhesive tape which would probably give a neater finish......ask the lizard what he'd prefer :LOL:

cheers for that mate. don`t think the lizards too fussed. give him enough crickets and he`ll agree with anything. :)

I've always found that Gripfill (original green tube) is the best. Not used Gripfill pink yet. Don't bother with the solvent free - it's more money and not as as good.

I've also recently tried No Nonsense grab adhesive and it was pretty good and is the cheapest. It's green in colour and even though the two tubes I used was four months out of date, it still worked well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back