What's the best way/products to re-render part of an external wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, some builders have been creating a new dirveway for me and when removing the paving slabs by the front wall of the house, found that the lowest brick work of this wall wasnt protected by a render, almost the raised paving slabs were providing said protection - you can kind of see this to the left of the image where my neighbours house is. So now I need to fix the render (ideally before it starts smashing it down with rain - later this week).

IMG20230419080234.jpg

They are going to be pouring the concrete tomorrow which will cover the bottom most layer of the brickwork, but I image there will be a strip of exposed brick that will need covering.

I was thinking that the best bet would be to use some SBR (https://www.wickes.co.uk/KA-SBR-Bond-Co-Polymer-Bonding-Compound---1L/p/139061) and then cover with a suitable render. I have read that I would be best mixing up my own render, but having never done that before, I would rather use a premixed tub (can anyone recommend a suitable product?).

Before I start my project in the next few days, is my plan correct? I don't want to be screwing this up because it isn't something that could easily be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would (assuming the finished "floor" is close to the bottom of the existing render) put a
cement fillet (4:1 sharp sand/cement) in to cover the gap - a lot easier than trying to match render and will help water run off. There are potential issues with render bridging the DPC, which yours appears to do, but if you don't have any internal damp issues I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to prime with SBR then Wickes sell a 1 litre pot for £6 which is handy for small jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back