What primer should I use on plaster wall before tiling?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you've heard correctly. PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) is not generally recommended as a primer for walls prior to tiling. This is because, although it provides an initially good bond to the substrate, it is water-soluble and can re-emulsify when it comes into contact with the water in the tile adhesive, causing tiles to de-bond over time.

Instead, a product like KA SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) is a good choice. This type of primer creates a water-resistant barrier that helps to prevent the aforementioned problem. It also improves adhesion, reduces the porosity of the substrate, and provides a good surface for tiling.

Before applying the SBR, make sure the plaster wall is dry, clean, and free of any loose material. Then you can mix the SBR with an equal amount of water and apply it using a brush or roller, making sure the entire surface is covered. Allow it to dry thoroughly before tiling.

However, always follow the manufacturer's instructions on the specific product you're using, as the mixture ratio and application methods can vary. Also, it is worth noting that some tile adhesives already contain a built-in primer, so make sure to check that as well.

Yes, you've heard correctly. PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) is not generally recommended as a primer for walls prior to tiling. This is because, although it provides an initially good bond to the substrate, it is water-soluble and can re-emulsify when it comes into contact with the water in the tile adhesive, causing tiles to de-bond over time.

Instead, a product like KA SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) is a good choice. This type of primer creates a water-resistant barrier that helps to prevent the aforementioned problem. It also improves adhesion, reduces the porosity of the substrate, and provides a good surface for tiling.

Before applying the SBR, make sure the plaster wall is dry, clean, and free of any loose material. Then you can mix the SBR with an equal amount of water and apply it using a brush or roller, making sure the entire surface is covered. Allow it to dry thoroughly before tiling.

However, always follow the manufacturer's instructions on the specific product you're using, as the mixture ratio and application methods can vary. Also, it is worth noting that some tile adhesives already contain a built-in primer, so make sure to check that as well.
Thank you.
What I do I basically sand the plaster with 120 grit disc, I wipe it clean with a wet fluffy disk then I wait for it to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back