whats the best way to lay chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

having had several heating systems\rewires etc a lot of the existing timber boards are basically wrecked, I was planning on robbing the boards out of the living room to replace the others around the house and then doing the whole living room in chipboard T&G. Its a 1960 house and its going to be carpeted over.

Ive seen loads of posts on how to correct a poor chipbd floor so how do you do it properly to start with??? (or is it just the devils work and to be avoided :evil: )

Do you
glue all the joints with PVA
Add talc not PVA to the joints
put 3 or 4 screws per 600mm board
silicone the ends to fill the gaps against the wall

hang the expense and use real wood floor boards

I was also going to add insulation between the joists -seems daft not to with all the boards up -so whats the best option for that?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
The best way to lay Chipboard Flooring is to lay it carefully in the skip, then go out and buy some 18mm WBP ply and use that instead.

is it normal / appropriate to fix chipboard floors with nails.

not sure if they are shanked.

seems to be a lot of creaking in a house a friend of mine is currently looking to buy ( new home) 22mm thickness

i kind of thought it was a no no.

quick response would be good.

cheers

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info guys, never been a fan of chipboard, so if I go for 18mm ply is it just going to be 8'x4' sheets butted together or is it available in, say, 4x2 like chip and T&G or is it out with the router?

you can get it with tongue and groove. I prefer laying 8x4 square edge tho. Cut them back to meet on a joist. Across the headers of the boards i put a battern underneath to screw into (supported by the other board)

I like this method becuase you can get a whole panel up without having to cut the tongue off. Saves any damage and squeaks in the future.

if, like me, you are not strong enough to carry an 8x4 sheet upstairs, you can also get 8x2 T&G all round WBP 18mm flooring ply.

the surface can be a bit rough, look before you buy.

JohnD...where can this mysterious 8 x 2' T&G WBP ply be bought please? One company seems to make it only under a trade name of 'WISA III TG4'. It looks like good stuff. Pricey and hard to find. Around £22 a piece. Is this the stuff you mean?

I got mine from a timber merchant in Chichester called Covers. It was in their online catalogue but the counter hand had never heard of it, so lucky I took a printout of the page when I went to order it. It is spruce and quite bad for knots and splinters. Would not matter if carpeted or laminated over.

I have subsequently been using hardwood-faced WBP ply, which is square-edged but has a much better finish suitable for staining and varnishing. However AFAIK, although it is a superior quality, it is not graded and stamped for construction use. If that matters.

Being square-edged you have to nog it more, but it is far easier to take up if you need to get at wiring or plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back