What's the crack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a semi detached house, I have just been in my attic and I have a crack in the thermalite brickwork wall on the gable end side this goes from the top down below/behind the plaster board wall. Certainly top to out of sight. The crack doesn't follow point lines but goes straight through bricks. The crack is about 2-3mm thick.

Should I be concerned? What would the scale of work be? Would they need to remove my plaster etc and chase the crack back?

Is this a load holding wall. Looking at the external brickwork all I sound. With no signs of concern.

Sponsored Links
It's normal shrinkage - not a structural issue and nothing to be concerned about.

It's a normal contraction crack. Those blocks are prone to them, and its common to have three of them on a gable.

Just leave it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Should I be concerned with the cracks at the corners on the window below? Also possibly not related but a gap appeared between my staircase and this same wall, it reached a little over 10mm ( I could get my fingers in) my solution was to apply a wooden bead over top and in all honesty it hasn't moved in two years just wondered if there's a connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back