What's the implication of a lighting circuit with no earth ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a new fuse box fitted with RCD's and trip switches. When the electrician fitted it he informed me that I have no earthing in my lighting circuit so it wouldn't meet current regs. Additionally on the connections of the mains circuit there was a small amount of a bright blue powder which he said is evidence of corrosion.

His advice was to rewire the all the lighting, and whilst that was being done check the degradation of the mains circuit and rewire if needed.

Now obviously I don't want the expensive of hassle of complete re-wire so my question is what is the implication of not having it done? Is it still legal, would it come up in a HIPs report and scare people away, is it dangerous (or do I just need plastic switches and double insulated lights).

Am i just delaying the inevitable by not doing it now, so should I just bite the bullet and do it ?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Richard.

Sponsored Links
if there is no earth on the lighting circuit, it is likely to be at least 40 years old. this will not be attractrive to any buyers. It also suggests that the cable and fittings are going to be in poor condition (this is not necessarily true, but people ae bound to suspect it). it also means that no-one can use metal light fittings or switches, which many people like.

Sooner or later it wil have to be done. If I were you I would probably get on with it. then you can redecorate round any damage that might occur and you will have smart new switches and fittings.

Bright blue powder is unusual, green deposits are comon on old copper especially with degraded insulation or damp. Don't know about that but it doesn't sound good.

What do you mean by "mains circuit" - the tails to the meter or the sockets?

I would hope he has already upgraded your earthing and bonding, as this is almost always out of date but is simple to upgrade.

Do you know what sort of main earth you have?

A photo showing the service head, supplier's fuse, meter, and cables around them will tell us.

thanks for the quick response.

"Bright blue powder is unusual, green deposits are common on old copper especially with degraded insulation or damp. Don't know about that but it doesn't sound good.

What do you mean by "mains circuit" - the tails to the meter or the sockets? "

the electrician found it on the tails for the meter, I had also seen it replacing a socket. He said it was quite common in that type of wiring, though not a bad case of it . It was a blue/green , looked to me like some sort of oxidization.

"I would hope he has already upgraded your earthing and bonding, as this is almost always out of date but is simple to upgrade.
Do you know what sort of main earth you have? "

He updated all the earthing by putting thicker cables to the gas pipe and water pipe and mains . Though i'm afraid i don't know what "type"

Richard.

Nothing apart from the fact the wiring is old. Earths are not normally used on lighting except for earthing metal fittings.

Sponsored Links
Also as far as i'm aware the electrical installation (as with Gas safety) will no longer be an item included within the HIP's reports. Was going to be but they've binned it.

Of course we all need an energy efficiency statement for our homes but electrical safety is not important really!!

Scott :rolleyes:

RobFurn said:
http://www.elecsa.org.uk/downloads/public/Re-connecting%20Lighting%20Circuits%20with%20no%20Protective%20Conductor.pdf

this link is usefull on the subject

Thanks, that's a really helpful doc.

I'm getting the impression it's one of those things that should get done but it can wait until I'm going to be redecorating anyway

Richard.

JohnD said:
Bright blue powder is unusual, green deposits are comon on old copper especially with degraded insulation or damp. Don't know about that but it doesn't sound good.

The blue powder tends to occour with tinned copper conductors, and is often a sign of damp occouring within the installation.

I guess it must be the addition of the tin which causes the verdigris to appear bluer than with normal copper.

verdigris.jpg

RF Lighting said:
JohnD said:

The blue powder tends to occour with tinned copper conductors, and is often a sign of damp occouring within the installation.

That makes perfect sense, I replaced the socket after damp proofing was done on the wall (as it did have damp on that wall) . Thanks for that.

Richard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back