Whats the purpose of back panel in kitchen unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per above .... is it for support or mainly to stop things falling through?

I'm installing my kitchen waste and need to drill a hole through wall, which i have established i am doing once i've got the plumbing rigged up under the sink so i can make an accurate hole.

For this, it would be much easier if the back panel was completely removed.
Either side of the sink is going an integrated D/W and W/M if it makes any difference.

So, my question is, what's the purpose of the back panel?
If i remove it permanently i'm assuming no issues? (Will probably keep bottom 6" to stop stuff falling through)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, remove it! Mine under the sink is half removed, - there's about 2 inches above the middle shelf so things don't slide off.
In my previous house the plumber made neat holes to access the valves, but this time the kitchen fitters just removed half of it. Actually neater.

Yeah, remove it! Mine under the sink is half removed, - there's about 2 inches above the middle shelf so things don't slide off.
In my previous house the plumber made neat holes to access the valves, but this time the kitchen fitters just removed half of it. Actually neater.

cool, yes it will make things a lot easier! cheers

Same here.
Several cupboards have no backs, I painted the bare plaster white so it looks less like a mess.

Sponsored Links
The back panel adds diagonal bracing the units.

Not essential if the side of a end unit is attached to a wall which will provide bracing.

Where there is no wall to provide bracing then the diagonal bracing is likely to be necessary
brace back panel.jpg

When installing sink base units if I can leave the back in and drill it for pipework, I do, but it isn't always possible, especiallybif there's a rats nest of plumbing, isolator valves and stop lock, etc in there. In that case I've always preferred to take the back out and get myself some 150mm wide white pre-banded MFC (Contiplas) and add small upstands across the backs of both the shelf (if possible) and the bottom. Stops loose objects falling into the void between the back of the unit and the wall.

BTW whilst a back adds rigidity to a single cupboard on its' own, where a base unit without a back is tied into a run of other cabinets which do have backs won't support/rigidity be given by the other cabinets?

For the same reason you don't wash your cutlery down the toilet - the risk of germs spreading from close proximity to your drains. The only things we have in the under-sink areas, is cleaning materials.

Don't you rinse pots and pans before you use them? Regardless of where they have been stored?

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back