Whats the secret to no lines from the float?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1st go at plastering today ... I am a total novice - trying to skim a small 1x2m area of wall ...

Whats the secret to no lines from the float?

When I smooth it over with the float I keep getting lines from the edge of the float .....

Is it the float I am using ... a cheap'ish Wickes metal one, or my technique?

Any tips much appreciated ...

Sponsored Links
Good on you for having a go! Very difficult to explain the answer to your question. It definitely comes with experience,, and using a new "trowel", (it's not called a float),, will not help,,, just because it is "new". It's all to do the feel of the trowel, the pressure you put on the trowel, the angle of the trowel etc. When you run a trowel over a plastered surface, the front, (toe) of the trowel is barely touching the plaster. A light pressure ( via the handle), is being applied to the other end of it, (the heel).
You can buy trowels that are "broken in,,,, with the corners slightly rounded off,, but to be honest, that wouldn't help much until you learn the technique of using a trowel. Practice on small areas will help more than anything.

First of all it is called a trowel a float is what is used in rendering ,Years ago a float was used to bring the "fat" up when skimming tho..
There are a lot of posts on here about the process you have to got through in skimming a wall. and that is what it is a process. A lot of people who first start plastering find it hard to walk away from the plaster they have just put on the wall and let it set for awhile. Without getting in to too much detail if you try a small area put the first coat on wash your tools have a cup of tea do the crossword or nip out for a paper as long as it doesn't take more than about 15 t0 30 mins then just go through the same process with your trowel and flatten it out. You may get a few trowel marks but dont worry about them. then mix some more muck up a bit wetter than your first batch (not that it falls off the hawk) and go over it again and let that pick up and go over it with a dab of water on your trowel and leave it again. Then give it a dry trowelling and you should not have any marks left in it.This is a very basic example there is much more that effects the setting time but you can read through some old post and
and see how you get on Good luck... ;) And like RC says the trowel will make a big difference.. ;)

I've just been looking at your photo album Roy,,, loads of photos there mucca,, some job eh. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi mucka ,yes I painted all the areas I did today and cleared the scaffold off and am back inside tomorrow to carry on with the bedroom. I have been very lucky with the weather, we had a drop of rain yesterday and that was the first for over 3 weeks when I started the roof!!! :LOL: I usually take photos of all my jobs and if anyone asks what "can you do? I just give them an album and say "see for your self".. I think most of the lads like to see what jobs people have to do. I love looking at other peoples photos aswell ;)

Is it the float I am using ... a cheap'ish Wickes metal one, or my technique?

Any tips much appreciated ...

My first trowel was a freebie after attending a course. It was a budget 11" x 5" steel trowel which I used for a bit.

Stepped up to a stainless steel pre-worn marshalltown which I found far easier to use (note - but not easy tho! ;) )
The brand and the fact it was pre-worn is largely irrelevant - I think what's important is that it was a good quality stainless one.
I found it smooth to use which helped the feel a lot. My steel one rusted quite quick and took a bit of prep to smooth off, but for me it always felt rougher than my s/s one and less natural.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and tips ... I will have another go in a few days time.

I think I'm guilty of over working it and not giving it time to set....

Does the trowle size matter? Current one is 11" .. would a 20" be easier?

The Marshalltown stainless Worn In Trowel 's are pricey at around £40+ but maybe I will lash out!

I think I need another 6 months practice!

Thanks for the replies and tips ... I will have another go in a few days time.

I think I'm guilty of over working it and not giving it time to set....

Does the trowle size matter? Current one is 11" .. would a 20" be easier?

The Marshalltown stainless Worn In Trowel 's are pricey at around £40+ but maybe I will lash out!

I think I need another 6 months practice!

Stick with the small trowel, it's easier to handle and won't damage your elbow/wrist.

Practice & good technique is what you need; buying an expensive trowel won’t necessarily give you any better results & a large trowel may make things worse + it will kill your arm & shoulder half way through the day unless you’re a really fit/young super spread & maximum sq/meterage is a governing factor.

I tend to stick with & prefer my original 11 inch cheapo carbon steel trowel for laying it on. It takes more effort to look after & the soft grip cover is long gone but at around 6 years old, it’s getting near retirement now (much like me :rolleyes: ); but I will miss it when it’s gone. :cry:

You can get a nice stainless steel Ragni for about £18. Way better than the overpriced Marshalltown.

Oh and in regard to your original question - it's your timing that's wrong. Lay it on then wait a bit until it starts to go off - then smooth it down.

do the crossword or nip out for a paper as long as it doesn't take more than about 15 t0 30 mins
I take it you don't read the Guardian then? It takes me about two days to do one of their crosswords.

Practice & good technique is what you need; buying an expensive trowel won’t necessarily give you any better results & a large trowel may make things worse + it will kill your arm & shoulder half way through the day unless you’re a really fit/young super spread & maximum sq/meterage is a governing factor.

I tend to stick with & prefer my original 11 inch cheapo carbon steel trowel for laying it on. It takes more effort to look after & the soft grip cover is long gone but at around 6 years old, it’s getting near retirement now (much like me :rolleyes: ); but I will miss it when it’s gone. :cry:

Good advice, though IMHO trowel size has got very little to do with speed -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back