What's The Standard Way of Switching Sockets Separately?

As often discussed, for what it's worth that would certainly be my view.
True, but there would be absolutely no point in having a sockets circuit wired in 4mm² cable and protected by a 32A OPD configured as a ring.

Perhaps more to the point (as you and I, and some others, often point out), there is absolutely nothing in the regs (and/or 'electrical knowledge') which prevents one having an unlimited number of sockets/whatever supplied by a 4mm² unfused spur from a 2.5mm²/32A ring final.

Kind Regards, John

Some people go berserk (not me though) about one 'side' of a ring having much more load than the other 'side'.

Would 4mm2 cable throughout satisfy this potential problem?

Sponsored Links
Of course.

However my point was that people would probably argue that a 4mm² ring with 32A OPD would still be subject to 433.1.204 just because it is a 'ring' even though, as said, there is no point having it as a ring (VD and Zs apart) and a radial would do.

Some people go berserk (not me though) about one 'side' of a ring having much more load than the other 'side'.
Some undoubtedly would, but they are essentially stupid since, no matter how the circuit is designed and constructed, there is no telling 'what will get plugged in where' once it is in service. If there is more than just one double socket 'on each side' of the ring, the potebtial exists for a 'full load' (32A) to exist on one side of the ring with zero load on the 'other side'.

In reality, in the case of method C 2.5mm² cable, its CCC (27A) is so close to 32A that it is impossible to get an 'appreciable' overload of the cable in one leg of the ring (and very unlikely that there will be any overload) if the total load does not exceed the design value of 32A, even if a full 32A load is plugged in close to one end of the ring.
Of course it would - but, as I said, if one is going to use 4mm² cable, then there is absolutely no point (other than the issues EFLI has mentioned - and also 'CPC redundancy', which most people don't seem very interested in) in wiring the circuit as a ring.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back