What's this drill bit for??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Left behind at my place by a tradesman many moons back. Can anyone tell me what its use is?

Basically a drill bit housed within a retractable cover. Countersink?

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_2074.JPG [ATT]108403[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i dont know but assume countersink by the shape off the outer sleeve
and rather than pilot a shank hole as its to large for a pilot as it would remove all material

It's a self centering pilot bit for drilling exactly in the middle of a hinge hole.

Gaz :)

It's a self centering pilot bit for drilling exactly in the middle of a hinge hole.

ahh that makes sense so the sleeve doesnt turn then ??
it just locates in the hinge countersink ??

Sponsored Links
rather than pilot a shank hole as its to large for a pilot as it would remove all material

It is a pilot, just a very large one, maybe for a number 12 screw, which is probably why the tradesman never came back to retrieve it, probably never uses it and never realised he had lost it!

Coolhurst, can you see a number engraved on it anywhere?

ahh that makes sense so the sleeve doesnt turn then ??
it just locates in the hinge countersink ??

Correct, it's free to rotate, ie, doesn't rotate in use! They get really, REALLY hot!!!

It is a pilot, just a very large one, maybe for a number 12 screw, which is probably why the tradesman never came back to retrieve it, probably never uses it and never realised he had lost it!

Coolhurst, can you see a number engraved on it anywhere?

most door and window furniture tend to be no7s :cool:

We call them Vix bits. They only get hot in use if you don't clear them out (of swarf) and don't lubricate them (oh, and if and they are cheap Chinese copies). The Trend Snappy versions are a million miles better than cheap and nasty Chinese copies illustrated. And, B-A, most modern fire door hardware requires 4.5 or 5mm screws, not #7s!

We call them Vix bits. They only get hot in use if you don't clear them out (of swarf) and don't lubricate them (oh, and if and they are cheap Chinese copies). The Trend Snappy versions are a million miles better than cheap and nasty Chinese copies illustrated. And, B-A, most modern fire door hardware requires 4.5 or 5mm screws, not #7s!
i bow to you up to date active knowlage :D as always
most people dont even realize no7 screws exist never mind most older furniture use it (y)

You ought to see the size of screws that came with some 6in bronze bank Parliament hinges we removed last year. I reckon the screws must have been #14 or #16 and about 4in long. Bit big for a Vix bit, however

Thanks all. That adds up as we had doors fitted a few months ago so I now know who's bit it is!

Gaz - to answer your Q, it's states #12 on the side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back