Whats this screw / bolt called? dropped it in the engine bay and need a replacement!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This bolt secures the fuel filter bracket, the bolt head is central to the thread (see pic), and the top part is used for the engine cover.
The problem is that when I was changing the fuel filter I dropped it in the engine bay and now cant find it! I made do with an ordinary bolt with the same thread - downside being the engine cover doesnt attach properly (because the top thread doesn't exist any more)

So I want to buy one of these bolts. Any idea what they're called? The bolt head is central in the main thread(see pic - you need a long socket to get to it)

1673715516352.png

Sponsored Links
Its just a stud with a nut on.

Studding or studded rod is available at places like screwfix, toolstation etc, cut it to length and use 2 nuts, 1 for each section.

Looks like a threaded bit of stud, with a nut seized onto it, hence the stud unscrewed rather than the nut, as was intended. The threads at each end of the stud may not be the same threads.

Sponsored Links
Use threaded stud with one nut to secure the filter bracket, and one (longer) to join the top of the stud and a new bolt fitted through the housing.

Blup

Looks like a threaded bit of stud, with a nut seized onto it, hence the stud unscrewed rather than the nut, as was intended. The threads at each end of the stud may not be the same threads.
both sides have the same thread. There's actually two of these double sided bolts, thankfully I didn't lose the second one!

Last edited:
Drive the car for 100 yards and then look for the original, bouncing it may help dislodge it.

nice ideas guy.. would really prefer to use the legit part. might try ford, if it's only a few squid I'll buy it. If it's extortionate will go with your idea of a threaded stud with two bolts either side. I think it's M5 thread

Thread width is 5mm so that's M5 right?

Last edited:
Drive the car for 100 yards and then look for the original, bouncing it may help dislodge it.
I'll try that.. however the place it dropped is like a small valley with no daylight. I took off the engine under tray and no sign of it.

I have a magnet on a telescopic stick that you can poke around with and hopefully snag any missing items. You can get them from ebay, market tool stalls etc. No help now but worth getting hold of one.

is this thread M6 or M5?

Attachments

• PXL_20230114_173856683.jpg
    PXL_20230114_173856683.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 43
nice ideas guy.. would really prefer to use the legit part. might try ford, if it's only a few squid I'll buy it. If it's extortionate will go with your idea of a threaded stud with two bolts either side. I think it's M10 thread

Thread width is 5mm so that's M5 right?
It's a stud, it's nothing special nor "legit". If it was in a garage and the stud sheared or got lost, it would be replaced with something similar.

10mm socket for the nut? Likely to be 6mm thread. Difficult to be precise on here. But 5mm would be unusual

OK guys thanks, I'll try this , the following bolt going in from below the housing, so the thread appears at the top

then a nut on top to secure the bracket to the housing. So thread remains exposed

Then screw this thing on to the exposed thread (connects to the engine cover)
1673724726110.png

btw this is what it looked like before I lost the bolt! (The one on the right - at about 3 o clock position)
1673725215643.png

Sponsored Links
Back