Peugeot Engine Cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the bonnet of our Peugeot 307 SW up at the weekend and was surprised to see that the engine cover was loose and the oil filler cap was nowhere to be seen. I've now replaced the filler cap but I had assumed that the filler cap somehow held down the engine cover, but it doesn't? Does anyone know how the engine cover is held down as it clearly isn't right and I can see no visible means of securing it to the engine? It has been rubbing on various pipes and wires and I wouldn't be surprised if it being loose is the cause of our filler cap going awol. The only things on the engine cover underneath are four cyclindrical rubbers on each corner which rotate and these appear to line up with four bolts on top of the engine, but i cannot see how these might hold the cover on? Is something missing, or broken??

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Its a particularly useless design.....the acoustic shield (engine cover) is held on by 4 spring loaded plastic turn buttons, which are supposed to bite onto the screw threads on those rubber buffers. They always vanish! You turn them 1/4 turn to undo, but just push on them to grip.
This has no bearing on the filler cap though - that only goes AWOL if it was never replaced in the first place or the rubber gasket had gone.
The undertray on these has equally daft clips, turn them 1/4 turn to undo, but have some cable ties ready!
John

Thanks Burneman,

Your post then raises more questions! Firstly, can these things that appear to have vanished be replaced, and if i do replace them, how long before they vanish again - am i just as well slinging the acoustic shield in the shed and leaving it there?

The oil filler cap - we've not had the car that long (its second hand) but i'm sure i'd have noticed before now if it was missing when we bought it and I personally have never removed it so unless it was just loose when we bought it??? Anyway, we've replaced it now so problem solved but 'the gasket' Is this the circular piece of rubber which is on the oil filler pipe? Where exactly is this supposed to sit because at present its low down right on top of the engine and nowhere near the mouth of the pipe where the filler cap is??

Thanks for the tip with the cable ties - i'm about to drain and replace the oil which I guess i'll need to take the undertray off to do - so will make sure i've got some cable ties handy when i do it!!

Good morning Andrew
Personally I don't think you'd really notice the acoustic shield if it wasn't replaced - the car may be a bit noisier outside but about the same from within.
The gasket I was on about is actually retained on the oil filler cap itself, and produces a seal at the rocker cover to keep the oil splash in. The seal you mention is simply to seal the filler neck to the acoustic shield - its a noise barrier, thats all.
As your oil cap has gone, I guess it simply wasn't refitted at some point - but I'm surprised that the under bonnet area wasn't drenched in oil!
Some vehicles have a small hatch on the under tray to allow you access to the sump plug, but most don't - so its off with the whole thing. Chore!
Put a new sump seal washer on the drain plug...essential if its the plain copper washer, but you can get away with using the rubber inserted type a few times.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Main dealer wanted £36 plus fitting fee for 4 rubber engine cover bolts, I searched ebay and got them £7 which includes the postage, it took me 5 minutes to fit them, have since found out that if you superglue the rubber to the bolt it works and they are like new. Save money avoid main dealers who charge £5 to change a bulb and do it yourself.

Hi,

I know I need to replace the rubber pins to hold engine cover in place, however I noticed one it connected to a solid mount that can not be bolted from below, so how do I fit that one to the engine? Is it a matter of getting a deep socket that covers the pin and goes to the bolt?

any advice or pics would be great.

I think you'll find that one (when complete) just screws down onto the mounting. If the rubber has gone, try unscrewing the remaining steel plate with some mole grips.
John :)

This must be the most stupidest idea ever!!!!

If you want to keep the cover in place then best replacement for the original is 4 exhaust mountings from a Renault/Saab that has 6mm studs and which fit the existing tapped holes and finish with standard nuts/wing-nuts on top.

If you want to make the finished effect 'pretty' then use 6mm thumb screws on top.

I fitted a set of those 'replacement' cover fittings and they didn't last very long, the caps fell apart, you could glue them together but I opted for some dearer ones that have nuts to hold the cover on, so far no problem.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back