What is this part of my Ford Ka engine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just gotten my first car, so am familiarising myself with it all, and learning a bit about how it all works.

There's this part, I've found this image, it's the big (biggest in picture, near centre) yellow cap with the oil can on it. I thought this was the engine oil filler cap, so I prised it off with a screw driver. It turns out though, that I broken it off. It didn't have any clips to clip back in, so it seems I just snapped it off.

I've super-glued it back on temporarily, and that's held well, but obviously I need to know what it is, in order to buy a new one to replace it.

Thanks.

(oh, the picture)

DSCN42.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply!

So I have just snapped it off then? Maybe the clips got stuck and I broken them off at the base?

Either way, is it ultra critical that this doesn't come off? What would happen if it did while I'm driving? It's only held on by superglue at the minute.

Is there a specific name for this type so I know what to search for to replace it?

Thanks.

Are you sure you are ready for car ownership? if you can't do the simple task of removing the oil filler cap without breaking it?

Wotan

Sponsored Links
This filler cap is a push fit one, if I recall as its the early Ford Kent series engine.....it can be tight due to a rubber sealing ring around its base. Twist and pull and it will come off.
I would imagine the thing came apart because there is a mesh filter inside it, which isn't normally accessible.
Best buy a new one - it will be a dealer part rather than a motor factor I would think. Quote your registration number and ask for an oil filler cap.
Some other bits of priceless info: black cap, extreme top left of pic = screenwash fluid. Black cap with red band next to it = radiator coolant
Other yellow cap, right of pic, brake fluid reservoir. Black cap, yellow writing, left middle of pic = power steering fluid reservoir.
John :)

Back