What's this? some kind of primitive CU?

Sponsored Links
Hi

It would be most helpful if you could load the image into your message, then we can see it easily.
Here's how to do that. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Looking at the picture, which item are you referring to. It looks like an isolation switch and three switch fuses. The switch fuses are probably protecting two or more circuits.

However, the wiring and connections there are very badly done and may well be a hazard. I would reconned he has a certified electrician install a new consumer unit and sort that mess out!

Lovely!

Until one of the proper sparkies posts a response.... (edit too late!)

Working left to right

Big black thing on the left is the main incomer, it has an earth connection at the bottom too.

Big white thing on the right of it is the new meter.

Attached to the live output from the meter is the transmitter for one of the energy monitoring devices.

Black thing linked to the meter is the "main switch"

The output of the main switch has been split into 3 using the henley? blocks

The top black "switch" will have a fuse in it, difficult to see the cable but probably a radial circuit.

The big Greyish switch will again have a fuse in and again looks like it may be radial

the smaller black switch bottom right will again have a fuse, this has 2 cables connected but they are different colours. Could be 2 x radials or a ring.

Not sure where the small socket is fed from.

All "looks" to be earthed but could all probably do with testing and maybe combining into a single modern CU. Clearly, there is no RCD protection at all.

Difficult to see everything with having to swop between windows but also,
all of the earthing is way too small
the henley block (with the blue tape) is obviously broken and must be replaced. tape falls off, and that is the LINE termination :eek:
the cable from the right hand switch fuse appears to be for the lighting circuit. There is NO EARTH on that cable that I can see
cables unsupported
single cables left floating in the breeze. The outer sheath of cables must enter their termination enclosures…

EDIT…. Let me do it for you Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
I would recommend to your friend that he gets a proper spark to do an Electrical Installation Condition Report.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

This will cost, but you friend will then know exactly where he stands with regard to his installation and what he should do to make it safe.

Apologies for the way the picture was wired in; blame Microsoft's Windows Phone for that - there's no way to upload a pic either to the album here or to somewhere useful like PostImage.org because the upload buttons simply don't work in mobile Internet Explorer

So you're stuck with the ****ty process of telling the phone to share the pic on skydrive, then signing in to skydrive and getting a link to the picture.. only you don't get a link to the picture, you get a link to some poxy gallery webpage (so you can't use a, tag on the board) and there's no way of getting the phone's web browser to tell you the direct link to the shared image..

..hence the awkward "open in new window"

Next time I'll wait until I can use a PC to do the upload..

Thanks for the advice, all.. I shall pass said info on to said friend and tell him to tell his landlord to get those wires sorted

Thanks for the advice, all.. I shall pass said info on to said friend and tell him to tell his landlord to get those wires sorted

You didn't say before that it was a rented property.

If I were doing an inspection on that I would write it as UNSAFE/NOT SATISFACTORY.

Landlords are required by law to ensure:

That the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition throughout its duration.

These links tell more, and the steps your friend can take if the landlord does not perform.
http://www.esc.org.uk/public/guides-and-advice/safety-in-rented-homes/
and
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/electrical-safety

I would agree looks sub-standard however there are sometimes good reasons for using fuses in a switched box.

On one job we felt it may need more than 100A and most consumer units are rated 100A so a 160A three phase switched fuse box was used with all the inputs linked and three separate outputs to three separate consumer units so if required we could use more than 100A supply.

Be it a supply to common areas or a supply to flat the picture does not really tell us what is going on. I would guess work is required to even bring it to the standard required when it was fitted never mind today's standards but that is only a guess the room may be locked with only authorised access and could supply TT systems although unlikely.

The other point is if some one says the property is not inhabitable what happens to those living in it? I had it with a job once HSE gave owners 3 weeks to correct faults or would be closed down so owners gave everyone 3 weeks notice.

Some very careful diplomacy is required.

I would agree looks sub-standard however there are sometimes good reasons for using fuses in a switched box.
True, but in this case not the probable (not necessarily 'good'!) 'reason' simply that this is how it has been for the the past 50 or so years? That setup is certainly very reminiscent of what I was 'brought up with' in my parents' house in the 50s and 60s.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back