What's wrong with my circular saw

Sponsored Links
but I think if you insist on doing it that way, then make the scoring cut first. Not last,
Yes that is what I have just tried and it did not work, not enough downward pressure and too much scope for movement against the fence (blade bending ? ) resulted in a very bad score. also with the work top face down the blade is going the wrong direction for a goo cut. So yes it was indeed fraught with problems. It was an experiment.
I aslo tried first scoring with a knife brand new Stanly blade and that in itself caused its own chips before i even when near the saw (tried different methods and pressures - still chips

Now we know this is a rip cut, just why is it necessary to get a perfect cut?
Actually the scratch problem was the 1 and only rip cut and the rest are all cross cuts.

Are you sure that you aren't just trying to use the table saw just because you have it?
Well I tried gnawing through it but it left a load of teeth marks :ROFLMAO:
The best result so far is from the circular saw ( after my initial not square cut in the picture). Its actually the same quality cut as i am getting from my 60 tooth blade on my table saw which still gives very tiny chips in places.
If I need to cut some in the future I will get myself a 2.4mm kerf 60 tooth for the circular saw

Yes that is what I have just tried and it did not work, not enough downward pressure and too much scope for movement against the fence (blade bending ? )
With a long piece you really do need a full length outfeed table so that the workpiece is fully supported as it comes off the saw - a roller support won't do (alright for ripping solid timber down before it is planed 4 sides, but otherwise not that good). As to scope for movement against the fence - that sounds as though you aren't supporting the material well enough on the infeed side as well as not providing any pressure against the fence; the pressure applied as the piece goes across the saw must be diagonal, both forwards and towards the fence, simultaneously. This is a lot easier to achieve with a full size table saw where you ren't additionaly attempting to support the material (which is what I suspect you are attempting to do) than it is with a portable saw such as yours. I own a DW745 (the predecessor saw to yours) and frankly I wouldn't have attempted the cut on it unless I built a flat infeed and outfeed tables first - in point of fact before I had a portable table saw or guide rail saw I used to do these cuts from the underside of worktops using a Makita 190mm saw and a 72 tooth ATB (alternate top bevel) or TCG (triple chip grind) blade with little diffioculty. As discussed, the key is to have the correct blade and top bear in mind that in many cases the cut will subsequently be hidden, so a portable saw with a thick enough saw blade (2.2 to 2.5mm) and enough teeth (48t on a 165mm blade) will do the job
I aslo tried first scoring with a knife brand new Stanly blade and that in itself caused its own chips before i even when near the saw (tried different methods and pressures - still chips
Stanley knives are not up to the task, even if you use a laminate scoring blade in one. The horizontal grade laminate used on post-formed worktops is basically Tufnol plastic and very tough
The best result so far is from the circular saw ( after my initial not square cut in the picture). Its actually the same quality cut as i am getting from my 60 tooth blade on my table saw which still gives very tiny chips in places.

If I need to cut some in the future I will get myself a 2.4mm kerf 60 tooth for the circular saw
Which is pretty much where we started

Sponsored Links
With a long piece you really do need a full length outfeed table so that the workpiece is fully supported as it comes off the saw - a roller support won't do
Yes I have a flat out feed and used it but only the table itself for infeed. It was only 500mm wide x the worktop depth 600mm
As to scope for movement against the fence - that sounds as though you aren't supporting the material well enough on the infeed side as well as not providing any pressure against the fence; the pressure applied as the piece goes across the saw must be diagonal, both forwards and towards the fence, simultaneously.
I was applying pressure but not enough,
This is a lot easier to achieve with a full size table saw where you ren't additionaly attempting to support the material (which is what I suspect you are attempting to do)
Correct no infeed support apart from me.
So next time I try and cut that stuff I will use a circular hand saw with a --------
2 tooth ATB (alternate top bevel) or TCG (triple chip grind) blade with little diffioculty. As discussed, the key is to have the correct blade and top bear in mind that in many cases the cut will subsequently be hidden, so a portable saw with a thick enough saw blade (2.2 to 2.5mm) and enough teeth (48t on a 165mm blade)
The circular saw method was the best cut in the end, even with a 24 tooth compared to my table saw with 60 tooth.

Interesting thing about removing workpiece dust, I have a titan wet and dry vac that I use for cutting and general diy clean up and I somtimes attach the hose so it blows to clean equipment. When doing a cut with my 60 tooth on 18mm kitchen carcases I was wondering why the cut was suddenly so bad when yesterday it was great then I realised I had attached the saw table to the BLOW and not the suck :ROFLMAO: ---so what a difference adequate dust removal makes

Makita 190mm saw and a 72 tooth ATB (alternate top bevel) or TCG (triple chip grind) blade with little diffioculty. As discussed, the key is to have the correct blade and top bear in mind that in many cases the cut will subsequently be hidden, so a portable saw with a thick enough saw blade (2.2 to 2.5mm) and enough teeth (48t on a 165mm blade) will do the job
Another thing I have noticed while cutting kitchen unit chipboard and other coated chipboards is that some chip more than others.
I am going to buy a new blade for my hand held circular saw to replace my 24 Teath one, its unlikely that I will be cutting kitchen worktop anytime soon so if I get a 60 tooth blade would an alternate top bevel) or TCG (triple chip grind ) grind blade be the best cut for most surfaces.
And are they much more expensive than normal grind.
Currently looking at this https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/product/tct-circular-blade-185mm-x-60t/
Also the saw is a 16mm bore - is it safe to used the 20mm to 16mm reduction rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back