Wheel bearing choice

I'll go with the opinion of the legal expert, if you don't mind.
Just to be clear then, if YOU supply ME with a part to fit to your car, I take on the legal responsibility for the manufacture, quality, safety and performance of that part. Is that what you, with the advice of your lawyer friend, are saying?

Sponsored Links
I'll try to keep it simple, and just to be clear, if a person fits a part to a car, any part, from any source, who is responsible for checking the quality and, for the fitting of the part?
Instead of just writing what you would like to be correct, do some research.

Also, to keep it simple for the benefit of the OP and to give real world examples, if a Garage is going to make £100 labour on a particular job plus another £20 profit on the parts supplied, the profit on that job will be £120. If the owner wants to supply their own parts, the cost of labour will then be £120. The only way you will save on that is if you can get the parts for less than the trade price that the garage will get them for. Good luck with that. If the part doesn’t fit or is faulty, you will pay more than £120 for their time in rectifying that. You can quote all the contract law you like at the garage but with your car in pieces in their garage, you may as well talk to the wall. You save nothing so make your own mind up what you would prefer to do.

The garage is responsible for the fitting of the part given to them . Not the failure of the part not supplied by them. BUT trouble starts when a part fails and the part supplier wants to send it back to the parts manufacturer to confirm fault. Car can be of road weeks ,we had a issue with an expensive alternator failed after 3 months. Parts factor who owner brought part from would not give him a replacement saying he would have to buy another alternator and once the old one was confirmed faulty he would get his money for the part back .But also they would only agree to a fixed sum for fitting of this new part, which was well below the labour cost we charge.
Car was of road weeks then owning had to pay extra to cover the difference in labour charges . I know people try and save money and who can blame them we all won't to, but I think the customer at the time was saving £50, it cost him more in long run .that was the first and last time we fitted owners parts.
I also know of garages who have arguments with the parts factors saying it was fitted wrong or damaged when fitting to not pay out on there warranty. It just goes on and on

Sponsored Links
Just getting back to the original issue with the bearings - my local motor factor will get both sizes in stock if there are alternatives and deliver them to me......I send back the one that isn’t needed which is a huge help as the car is back on the road in no time.
Its rare that I fit parts supplied by the punter, they come back to haunt.
John :)

How about contacting the manufacturer and getting confirmation from them for the correct fit which is usually what I do. May require vehicle reg/chassis number.

I believe FAG bearings and good quality.

Back