Wheelie bin lid - getting it to stay up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your wheelie bin lids no longer stay open on their own, it may be simply a case of just carefully hammering the pegs back in a bit.

It's a pain when the lids don't stay open.

There's even been stupid pedal bin devices for wheelie bins on dragons den when this would achieve the same thing.

It should also help reduce slamming wheelie bin lids at all hours where people seem to throw them open and throw the bag in before it slams shut.

Sponsored Links
My wheelie bins have never stayed open. I've just been outside to check and none of them have that as a design feature :confused:

Suppose it's a North/South divide thing - up here we're used to having to make do :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I didn't realise we've got different designs.
Ours fold back, but that can mean them clattering onto the one behind.

The day after the recycling collection you can hear the bottles crashing into an empty bin.

The main noise issue though is people moving them late at night.
Empty bins clatter especially badly, and are worse the faster you move them.
I wonder if the combined might of DIYnot could come up with a way to reduce the noise?

I was thinking of sticking some sort of padding to dampen the lid hitting the bin, but you have to be careful not to leave gaps for the ants to get in.

You could dampen the noise but little point making it ant proof , I doubt it is now.

You could steal all the bin lids. That'd stop them from slamming shut. Also, half fill them with water, then bottles wouldn't clatter so much in empty ones :LOL: :LOL:

we can only recycle tins and paper at home anything else [glass/plastic ]requires a car and i dont have one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back