When does a girl become a woman?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No - not in that sense you perve...

In two recent posts I used the term "girls".

And johnny_t posted a topic called "Boys & Girls".

So when do you stop calling a female a girl, and start calling her a woman?

And why do heterosexual women have girlfriends, but heterosexual men don't have boyfriends?

And how do homosexual women distinguish between girlfriends and girlfriends?

Sponsored Links
good point.
I am 35 so am very much a woman I guess but I refer usually to all the females at work as 'girls' at work ( though I know on here I have said women and ladies aswell)
On here, I say women as I dont want to get replies to my posts saying... "girl"... in your dreams toffee... yr a middle aged women.
But I feel like a girl!
well, I feel female.. woman seems old!! ( I know Im no spring chicken but I dont feel it)

My younger female relatives dont describe their females friends as girlfriends because they are scared they will be seen as lesbians.
This is not a slur on lesbians either.. it is because it limits the male interest if they think they are lesbians.
(shut up... I know what you are going to say.... men lurrrve lesbians!)
You know what I mean.

This day and age.. if a female I didnt know mentioned her girlfriend... I would be unsure of whether she meant lesbian partner or just pal.
I have a few lesbian girlfriends who are just my pals... as I am not a lesbian.
God.. its complex isnt it?
I have lesbian pals I refer to as my girlfriends btu they are not my intimate partners.
It is confusing.
Maybe us girls are not so hung up ( or when we are older... or not on the look out for a man when it does matter!!!) about being mistaken for being gay as men are.

Another similar thing is when staying over at friends houses.
I sleep in the same bed as my single girlfriend (we are both heterosexual)
when I stay at her house as she only has one bed.

My hubby would stay on the couch if he stayed with a male friend with only one bed.

ban-all-sheds said:
No - not in that sense you perve...

In two recent posts I used the term "girls".

And johnny_t posted a topic called "Boys & Girls".

So when do you stop calling a female a girl, and start calling her a woman?

And why do heterosexual women have girlfriends, but heterosexual men don't have boyfriends?

And how do homosexual women distinguish between girlfriends and girlfriends?
Its a matter of taste.

Sponsored Links
I teach a few teenage girls, and I would call them girls as 'teenage women' doesn't sound right. But they consider themselves women, it seems.

They might look like women but they act like girls!

notb665
do they ever get spanked when naughty ???..... < joke lol :)

"they might look like wolmen but they act like girls"

This is very scary... I see girls who physically are like much older women and they get into bad situations because they are not experienced enought to cope.
Its a very hot potato subject but its true.
Young girls discover that they have an effect on others and experiment with this. Sometimes this is not good... and Im not saying girls ask for it

nor am I saying all men are predators.

Adults here will know what I mean...
Its a worry and Im glad I have boys...

though... Im going to have to try to convey to them the good and risks of well... pleasure.

toffee said:
(shut up... I know what you are going to say.... men lurrrve lesbians!)
Well, yeah - there is that.

You know what I mean.
Ah - but you're ignoring the belief that if they just tried the right man, they'd be converted... :rolleyes:

Maybe us girls are not so hung up ( or when we are older... or not on the look out for a man when it does matter!!!) about being mistaken for being gay as men are.
I'm not sure it is that - certainly the use of the term "girlfriend" as described, and the non-use of "boyfriend" goes way back to a time when homosexuality was so low in peoples consciousness (unless they were homosexual) that it just wouldn't occur. What I mean is that decades, generations ago, if a woman said "girlfriend", there'd not be even the tiniest, fleetingest thought of "ooh, I wonder..." - it just wouldn't cross anyone's mind. Not even Moz's...

My hubby would stay on the couch if he stayed with a male friend with only one bed.
I don't think he's at all unusual in that respect..

This day and age.. if a female I didnt know mentioned her girlfriend... I would be unsure of whether she meant lesbian partner or just pal.
I have a few lesbian girlfriends who are just my pals... as I am not a lesbian.

Reminds me of a joke.

A somewhat naive man was chatting up a woman in a bar. After a while she said "I'm sorry - I'm not interested - I'm a lesbian".

"What's a lesbian?"

"Well, you see that barmaid over there. I fancy her and I'd like to go to bed with her".

"Blimey - I must be a lesbian too".

williams89 said:
Its a matter of taste.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif

rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

notb665 said:
They might look like women but they act like girls!
It's the ones that look like girls but act like women that you need to watch out for...

toffee said:
Young girls discover that they have an effect on others and experiment with this. Sometimes this is not good... and Im not saying girls ask for it

In my job I have to be very careful what messages I give out and/or respond to. The number of girls who have come for a lesson and have undone a few buttons on their blouse (at school) or worn a very short skirt is unbelievable. At first I thought it was just a mistake or me imagining things but it became too much of a co-incidence. At school they get out of a timetabled lesson to have a guitar lesson and I get one or two of them fluttering their eyelashes etc to try and get away from practising - as if it was just an excuse to get out of a timetabled lesson! Needless to say I am only interested in them progressing at music.

Many times I have asked a parent to sit in on a lesson if the girls are of a certain age. Nothing is said but they understand why.

I realise they are just experimenting with their sexuality - but let's get on and RAWK! :evil:

what tips would you give to young eager teenage boys ( mine arent yet so Ive got time to prepare speech)

How do you get that balance??

This is my girly and mothers view on it...

Dont be pressurised into having sex or other sexual stuff ( :oops: :oops: )

Dont let your pals tell you that your not a man if you havent done bla bla bla!!! :oops:
(girls arent guinea pigs to experiment on)

Use a condom... for pregnancy risks but also for disease.

Be aware of oral risks... herpes etc

Have fun but dont use people for sex and dont get them drunk to have sex!!
(YES I WILL STRESS THAT)
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dont bring girls back home for the night unannounced...

HELP?????

just show "Respect ! " to the girl .....an not banging it on the 1st night after chips

kids nowadays now an are told at school about Respect , the street version an grown up one ...
they are not stupid , an probably know more about sex an being a youth than you will ever know ..

maybe hubby should be giving these chats as you appear too me too FULL on .....maybe you will frighten them into being future serial killers ..lol ;)

thats why I asked on here.. ???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I had a sister and a mother... no male influence at all.
so yes, I am full on... trying to do my best and not having a clue how to....

Sponsored Links
Back