when does the extractor fan come on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys...bought a fan from screw fix...100mm chrome extractor fan with timer...set timer on for about 10 minutes....installed correctly from a switched FCU with a 3A fuse...fuse is fine...simple wiring job...blue to neutral brown to live....ive checked with a meter power is getting to the fan.....when does the fan kick in...i mean ive had showers and kids have had loads of baths...the bathroom is well steamed, yet the fan never kicks in......ive read the instructions that came with it...mentions that it comes on when the humidity reaches , i think it was 75%...there is no way of adjusting it...so why doesnt it cone on?....the bathroom is newly built......cheers

Sponsored Links
Post this in electrics, we only deal with important issues in here....j/k

Sponsored Links
hi..it has

1. blue - neutral
2. yellow - switched live
3. brown - permenant live

as taken from the info on indtalling this fan....it also says "should the humidity in the room reach 75%, which will happen if the bath is run or the bath filled with hot water, then the fan will switch on and continue to run until the humidity has reached to a normal level, about 65%"...

It does sound as if the humidistat is faulty.

One assumes it would run if the live was also connected to the yellow ?

Just possibly it needs a live on the yellow and continues running until the humidity reduces to 65%. Try that first!

You could consider asking the question on the Screwfix Talk Forum.

If you bought it by mail order and it was faulty you might be able to exchange it at a trade counter.

Tony

ok ill try connecting the live to the yellow as well, so that both lives are connected....and see if it makes any difference..if not ill take it back to screwfix....cheers guys for the help....ill post tommorrow..need sleep..got to get up early 4am....otherwise you guys wont get your post..lol... :LOL:

I have this expectation that it is a DIY half bodge that needs a permanent live on the brown and the yellow goes to the light and then it carries on running until the humidity goes down to 65% after the light is turned off.

Not what you would expect to have bought though!

Tony

What is the SFX part number. Most the installation books are on their website, I'll have a peek if I get time.

Trying to find a faulty length of cable on lighting circuit in rodent infested house at present. No fun, and very time-consuming.

goofy gorilla said:
ok ill try connecting the live to the yellow as well, so that both lives are connected....and see if it makes any difference..if not ill take it back to screwfix....cheers guys for the help....ill post tommorrow..need sleep..got to get up early 4am....otherwise you guys wont get your post..lol... :LOL:
It will. One live makes the fan rotate (and is normally permenantly live). The other live is a switch input, which activates the fan when the light is turned on. When the light is switched off, the timer will still have the supply from the permenant live to rotate the fan.

Since you only have one live, you must bridge the 2 connections for it to work.

I suspect thats right Steve but its not exactly what you expect when you buy a humidistat operated fan.

He might have fitted one in the celler to come on when it got a bit damp!

Tony

Agile said:
I suspect thats right Steve but its not exactly what you expect when you buy a humidistat operated fan.
I aggree, but they come in so many permutations these days, some less useful than others.

A humidistat fan with timer, pull cord and occupancy sensor, for example. What is the point? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back