When is 3/8ths not 3/8ths?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I volunteered to fit a new monoblock basin tap for a friend.

The ends of the flexi tails look like 3/8ths so I picked up some 3/8ths to 15mm compression reducers. Unfortunately the 3/8ths end is too big to screw into the end of the flexi pipes

The product description on Amazon says that it is supplied with a couple of 3/8ths to 1/2" convertors. They weren't in the box. And besides, who uses 1/2" pipe work these days?

I took the 3/8ths connectors back to the plumbers' merchants. They do not sell anything smaller.

Is it possible that a 8mm to 15mm will work. By my maths, 3/8ths is 9.5mm so I assume that a 10mm to 15mm reducer will be too big.

The tap shipped with the tails already attached, I haven't checked to see if the tails can be removed/replaced. I'd rather not go down the route of replacing the flexi pipes if I can just use a compression reducer.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Americans?

It's possible to take up slack in a loose compression fitting using PTFE.

Thanks JohnD, however at the moment the 3/8ths male part of the compression reducer won't even fit in to the female part of the flexi.

Edit------- I hadn't considered the fact that perhaps the tap is primarily intended for the US market rather than possibly being designed for europe.

Thanks for the heads up with regards to 15mm vs 1/2".

Last edited:
Hi all.

I volunteered to fit a new monoblock basin tap for a friend.

The ends of the flexi tails look like 3/8ths so I picked up some 3/8ths to 15mm compression reducers. Unfortunately the 3/8ths end is too big to screw into the end of the flexi pipes

The product description on Amazon says that it is supplied with a couple of 3/8ths to 1/2" convertors. They weren't in the box. And besides, who uses 1/2" pipe work these days?

I took the 3/8ths connectors back to the plumbers' merchants. They do not sell anything smaller.

Is it possible that a 8mm to 15mm will work. By my maths, 3/8ths is 9.5mm so I assume that a 10mm to 15mm reducer will be too big.

The tap shipped with the tails already attached, I haven't checked to see if the tails can be removed/replaced. I'd rather not go down the route of replacing the flexi pipes if I can just use a compression reducer.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure what you're trying to do. 3/8" is about 17.5mm OD.

I fitted a replacement mixer tap recently and the supply pipes terminated in 3/8" male. The flexis supplied were 1/2". I thought about re-using the original flexis, but they didn't fit the new tap (new ones were bigger). So I got new fittings - 15mm compression x 1/2" male.
The flexis can be removed, I'd do that and take it to the shop to get something that fits. You might be able to re-use the old flexis unless like mine they don't fit the new tap, but flexis don't last indefinitely and a better job if replaced.

If still in doubt can you post a pic?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not sure what you're trying to do. 3/8" is about 17.5mm OD.

I fitted a replacement mixer tap recently and the supply pipes terminated in 3/8" male. The flexis supplied were 1/2". I thought about re-using the original flexis, but they didn't fit the new tap (new ones were bigger). So I got new fittings - 1/2" compression x 1/2" male.
The flexis can be removed, I'd do that and take it to the shop to get something that fits. You might be able to re-use the old flexis unless like mine they don't fit the new tap, but flexis don't last indefinitely and a better job if replaced.

If still in doubt can you post a pic?

These are the fittings that I purchased.

european_monobloc_tap_tail_adaptors.500.jpg

The person selling the tap says that the flexis have a 3/8ths connection, they clearly aren't 3/8ths BSP. I am wondering if they are 3/8ths UNF or some other standard.

These are the fittings that I purchased.

View attachment 163610

The person selling the tap says that the flexis have a 3/8ths connection, they clearly aren't 3/8ths BSP. I am wondering if they are 3/8ths UNF or some other standard.
First, I've edited earlier post, I should of course have said 15mm compression x 1/2" male, not 1/2" compression x 1/2" male.

If the fittings should have been included, why not complain to Amazon? If you have both parts, the size and type of thread clearly don't matter. Failing that. all the more reason to take the flexi (or the whole tap to avoid removing the flexi) along to the plumbers' merchant.

What size is the supply pipe? You asked "who uses 1/2" pipe work these days?" (rhetorical question I assume) but you bought 3/8ths to 15mm compression reducers.

Maybe your flexis are 1/4". Male fitting for that is about 13.5mm OD. I Googled 1/4 inch copper pipe fittings and something by Conex-Banninger from RS Components looked promising - 15mm compression x 1/4" male. Couldn't see anything on Screwfix.

You said "By my maths, 3/8ths is 9.5mm", but that's irrelevant. 3/8" is the nominal bore, pipe OD is bigger, I've given OD for 3/8" and 1/4".

If the fittings should have been included, why not complain to Amazon? If you have both parts, the size and type of thread clearly don't matter. Failing that. all the more reason to take the flexi (or the whole tap to avoid removing the flexi) along to the plumbers' merchant.

My friend has contacted the seller and hopefully they will send the fittings out.

What size is the supply pipe? You asked "who uses 1/2" pipe work these days?" (rhetorical question I assume) but you bought 3/8ths to 15mm compression reducers.

The supply pipes are 15mm. I have never come across 1/2" pipe work. Doubtless it still exists in older properties. I believe that the American use 1/2" rather than 15mm. I appreciate that many people refer to 15mm as 1/2" but the two are different.

Maybe your flexis are 1/4". Male fitting for that is about 13.5mm OD. I Googled 1/4 inch copper pipe fittings and something by Conex-Banninger from RS Components looked promising - 15mm compression x 1/4" male. Couldn't see anything on Screwfix.

Thanks for looking, that was kind of you.

You said "By my maths, 3/8ths is 9.5mm", but that's irrelevant. 3/8" is the nominal bore, pipe OD is bigger, I've given OD for 3/8" and 1/4".

Absolutely correct. I was simply working on the assumption that the OD is consistent, by that I mean that the OD of a male 3/8ths should always fit in to a 3/8ths female fitting, thus the female part of the fitting is less than the 3/8ths standard. 1/4" however seems like a big jump

The supply pipes are 15mm. I have never come across 1/2" pipe work. Doubtless it still exists in older properties. I believe that the American use 1/2" rather than 15mm. I appreciate that many people refer to 15mm as 1/2" but the two are different.
My mistake there. When you asked "who uses 1/2" pipe work these days?" I read it as 1/2" or 15mm, and thought you were suggesting 12 or 10mm is more common nowadays. D'oh! :(

Let us know how you get on, will you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back