When is a supportin wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A supporting wall!?

I have no brick walls upstairs, and only two down stairs...these separate the kitchen from the lounge, and the bathroom from the kitchen. I have lifted the boards upstairs, and can not see anything that rests independantly on the top of these walls...

So can I bash em out!?

:D

Sponsored Links
What sort of span are we talking about here? Do the floor joists run across the walls? Even if the joists are continuous span (between the 2 external walls), if the total span is greater than around 4m & the joists pass across the top of the internal walls, it’s likely they are providing structural support to the floor above

If you intend to completely remove the walls you should consider the lateral support of the external walls they abut..

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
What sort of span are we talking about here? Do the floor joists run across the walls? Even if the joists are continuous span (between the 2 external walls), if the total span is greater than around 4m & the joists pass across the top of the internal walls, it’s likely they are providing structural support to the floor above

Ok...the wall seperating the kitchen/lounge runs laterally, opposite to the run of the 1st floor joists - so I guess they will offer some support to that floor.

I guess I could support the floor with jacks or timbers, and substitute the wall for an RSJ and tie into the external walls (1 of which is a party wall).

As for the wall separating the bathroom/kitchen, it is quite substantial, but used to be the old pantry so maybe thats why it is so thick...anyhow, it also runs opposite to the 1st floor joist for one of it's lengths, before turning thru 90 degrees to run parallel and into the front wall of the house.

Clear as mud!? cheers! :)

EDIT: Meant to say, span is approx 4-5 mtrs...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back