Lintel or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a kitchen to fit and the customer wants a wall removing, the wall separates the kitchen and dining room.
The wall to be removed just goes to ceiling height with the upstairs joists resting on it, the joists are full width of the house. Upstairs is a cinder block wall dividing the bed and bathroom and not directly on top of the downstairs wall approx 1 m apart.
The joists are 220x47 and have a 400 centre the house was built in 1965.
Can I remove the wall and leave it without a lintel/ rsj or will it need one.

Many thanks
Harvey

Sponsored Links
I would guess it would require one, as it is supporting floor joist and there is a load above that and that wall could well be support any roof load, it could also be support/securing an external wall from falling away. At least get a SE in to offer advise and any required calculations.

If you just remove the wall, then hurry up with the kitchen fit and get out as soon as possible. Also ask for cash so that the owner can't stop the cheque when the lounge carpet gets covered in bedroom furniture

And leave a disclaimer that if the client's house burns down due to fire spread, or they can't get out quick enough, then it's not your fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back