Unsupported walls in 50s houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents house, and the houses around them, were built the same, with downstairs bathrooms dividing the back of the house in half. The dividing walls have mostly been removed to make bigger kitchens. Above the dividing wall is a thermalite wall upstairs, but offset by about 18-24 inches so the downstairs wall provided no support to the upstairs one, as the joists run parallel to both.

Their neighbour has the kitchen ceiling down in the back of the house, due to major extension and renovation works. The downstairs wall is gone.

They have discovered that the upstairs wall is built onto the floorboards BETWEEN two joists! The joists either side have sunk slightly. They both rest at one end above a doorway. The doorway has a wooden lintel above it. So basically one end of this thermalite wall rests on a 3 inch high wooden lintel! The lintel is sagging.

Their plan is to remove the wall upstairs, jack up the joists and pad out above the doorway. Then rebuilt a stud partition upstairs. Either this or simply jack up the joists as it is and leave the wall in situ. The aim is to get a perfectly flat ceiling, which this wall is preventing.

But my question is, is this really how they used to build houses in the 50's??? Were there no building controls or set standards or inspections back then? I would imagine these houses were quite innovative when built - thermalite and plasterboard would have been new tech back then. Perhaps the inventor of thermalite claimed it was so light it could be thrown up anywhere? Granted its been there for 60 years, but its certainly not what I'd call robust. Is this sort of stuff normal?

These houses also have another thermalite wall running perpendicular to the joists upstairs, offset from another downstairs wall by 2ft6. But here I suspect the joists provide support to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Building Regs have been around or 100's of years in England, but the first comprehensive, national set of Regs was in 1965. These applied to everywhere apart from London which had it's own.
It was quite normal in the 50's to build upper partition walls off the floor, although it would usually have a timber sole plate.
Siporex lightweight blocks and panels were starting to be used then.

Yes quite normal ... and quite normal for these walls to be still standing up in houses up and down the land

Try building off the floorboards now with even a lightweight stud wall and the BCO will be waving his arms and gasping for breath at the mere thought of such a dangerous practice :rolleyes:

Yes quite normal ... and quite normal for these walls to be still standing up in houses up and down the land

Try building off the floorboards now with even a lightweight stud wall and the BCO will be waving his arms and gasping for breath at the mere thought of such a dangerous practice :rolleyes:
:LOL: indeed - but flooring chipboard perhaps :idea: I wouldn`t have it in the house , let alone build off the c-rap ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, it was normal practice, but not on chipboard floors, which did not appear until the early 70's and how they were ever approved I will never understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back