When is there too much insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,
Currently have 100mm celotex in between ceiling joists of tiled roof, which covers the kitchen. Now I want to insulate across the rafters before I plasterboard the ceiling, I still have 100mm celotex sheets left and was wondering whether using those would be fine, or is it overkill. As I would rather not spend any more money on say 50mm celotex.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem, but be sure not to block anything that needs to remain vented. Any vents in the eaves for example.

its the law off diminishing returns
100mm will give you perhaps 90-95% saving a second 100mm will perhaps give you a 90-95% saving off the 5-10%

so in other words the first 100mm may save you £2 a week the next 100mm may save you 10-20p a week

if you have other areas that need attention like draughts single glazing no low energy bulbs
tvs /computers/ games machines that are on when not in use they will use more energy than you will save via the extra 100mm of insulation

Sponsored Links
I have all the rest of the low energy things.
I appreciate the diminishing returns argument also. So now just need to that is 100mm in fact enough insulation for a roof with tiles?
If so great.
If not I will attempt to find those 140mm drywall screws lol
Thanks guys

Going across the rafters is a good idea to kill the cold-bridging. But having said that, 100mm is a bit OTT.

I recently found myself with spare sheets of 100mm left over after ordering too much, and needed some thinner stuff. So cut them into manageable pieces about 300mm wide, then cut them to approx 50mm thick with a reciprocating saw.

So long as you don't mind one side being a bit 'irregular', it works ok. Bit of faffing about, but didn't take too long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back