When painting - Should radiator be removed?

On another side on the same topic - let's say i get them successfully out of the wall without too much mess on the floor. What are the risk when putting them back?

If they are quite old and have previously been over tightened you may find that if you simply re-tighten them and fill them (not forgetting to use a rad valve key to let the air out), they may leak. Old rads, I wrap PTFE tape on to the thread. New ones, I just tighten them.

If the nuts on the valves are very tight, it is crucial that you prevent the valve twisting on the copper pipes. If you don't, a leak may develop where the valve meets the copper pipe.

I use a Stiltson to prevent the valve from tilting

https://www.tooled-up.com/sirius-stilson-pipe-wrench/prod/307684/

As I turn the spanner I apply force on the stilson in the other direction. You shouldn't need to do that if the correct amount of torque had been applied by the last person that took it off.

If you have a combi boiler, don't forget to top up the water pressure once you refill the rad.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I'm not that keen, but I couldn't stop the water and I really needed to strip the wall. I have a boiler nan coming out in a couple of weeks, so I'll get him to check it.

Boiler nan. Will she knit a new valve ;)

Boiler nan. Will she knit a new valve ;)
Hah! Blydi autocorrect, though I have no idea why it thinks I prefer nan to man - mine were always Gran and Grandma.

I quite like the idea of a boiler nan too. You'd never get cold. Sadly, all the plumbers locally are men.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back