When to Fill ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I have had numerous walls skimmed on my hall, stairs and landing, only a few mm's.

I am wondering - do I do any filling of small marks before or after the mist coat of emulsion. I don't want to ruin the polished finish.

What is the best product to use - as I find it is absorbed instantly into the new plaster and can feather. Then I end up messing with the new polished finish. :cry:

The plasterer has done a fairly good job - but there are a few areas where he has left imperfections.

Thanks for any replies.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
Do your filling after the first mist coat. Do any caulking then aswell. Caulking wont stick to well to raw plaster or raw wood. Then subsequent coats after that.

Thanks for that Robbie,

Another question if I may ?

The bare metal edge on the plasterers beadings ?
Do they need painting with anything or just cover them with emulsion ?

I was wondering if they need a metal primer or something ?

Will the emulsion not wash off metal ?

Thanks

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
I have given mine a coat of oil based undercoat,prior to emulsioning,or even papering.

I have given mine a coat of oil based undercoat,prior to emulsioning,or even papering.

Isn't that a bit of a no-no? I thought the 'mist-coat' had to be matt emulsion with a 5 to 1 (paint to water) ratio? This is so the plaster can soak up the paint rather than seal the plaster which oil based paints will do.

In1234,my reply should have read :eek:il based undercoat I applied was to the metal beading on the corners to prevent rust forming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back