Another bathroom ceiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a bathroom and the customer is so overjoyed she wants me to paint the ceiling.

Its a small to medium size bathroom with 4 downlighters and a fan, its been skimmed perfectly (by my good self) with two coats of board finish with zero imperfections or polished areas.

I've painted loads of ceilings at home but I'm ashamed to say I used PVA on the new plaster, luckly all still perfect. (phew!)

The main question is regarding the mist coat, I've told her to go out and get some kitchen & bathroom paint of her chosen colour. Will this always be vinyl silk? If so I imagine I can't use it as a mist coat?

If no I will have to buy a small tub of cheap B&Q mat emulsion and thin that down, can I do the whole thing the same day or do I have to mist on day one and return to do the final coat on day two?

Thanks TJ.

Sponsored Links
Don’t use vinyl silk as a mist coat; go & buy some cheap own brand matt white emulsion, thin 25-30% & apply 2-3 coats in quick succession; you’re going to have to leave it 24 hours though before top coating with her chosen finish.

Say three Hail Mary’s as a penance for using PVA under paint; you were lucky to get away with it IMO but it might still cause you problems in the future.

Thanks for that Richard.

The thing about the PVA is, at the time I didn't know any better. :(

3 Hail Mary`s and 3 coats of diluted wee wee OR I coat of water based Zinsser and re coat after it`s dried - same day . Costs more but the customer`s paying : Zinsser`s blessed by the head Rabbi AFAIK ;)

Sponsored Links
hi threadjacker

Kithcen and bathroom paint is normally a diy euphemism for water based eggshell.

Not suitable for mist/search coating.

As you are confident that the finish needs no further prep I would be inclined to say do a 10-15% seal coat of diluted matt emulsion and then proceed as normal. First coat of eggshell 3 to 4 hours later.

Then the same time for the next coat, BUT the level of suction will be quite high when you apply the first eggshell so be careful not to over roll. Not an issue when you apply the next coat.

If you are happy to do a long day you will be ok, assuming that the windows and heating are open/on. Would be safer to pop bact the next day depending on the colour/quality of paint.

I have never used the water based Zinsser however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back