When you are cleaning windows...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have used cleaning cradles whilst working in glazing.

On one occasion myself and another guy were 3 stories up getting ready to take out a sealed unit some 3 metres square. The cradle was a manually operated one with a ratchet system for moving up and a release button for braking the ratchet system in reverse (a bit like a winch).

One of these systems existed on each side of the cradle, the 'art' of movement was to do things together and smoothly.

After ten minutes pumping vigorously on the winch handles we where in position and started taking out the screws that held in the glazing bars, when we had done half of them we needed to lower the cradle 3-4 feet to get to the bottom of the panel.

We both got ready to raise the small handle that allowed the brake to 'slowly' release the winch. I pushed mine up and the winch started to slowly unwind, the other guy pushed his up and the cradle dropped from horizontal to vertical almost immediately.

Luckily he fell into the bottom of the cradle which was an enclosed bathtub type and I managed to get my arm around the cable and hold myself up whilst he re-winched his side up again.

Needless to say we lowered ourselves to the ground and got the hell out of there without delay.

This was not the only incident working for this company there were a few other breaches of H&S which would make your hair curl.

Now a days I sit at a desk and the worst I can look forward to is burning myself with the tea....... :LOL:

Back