Where can I get good value birch ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see all sorts of videos on Youtube where people make workshop furniture out of birch ply. What they use seems to be immaculate, with zero voids or surface damage.
I can't find good quality birch ply in the UK for less than about £100 for an 8' x 4' sheet. The stuff you get from Wickes and B&Q is cheaper but even the premium stuff seems to be peppered with voids.
Where's the best place in the UK to get good quality, good value, 18mm ply?

Sponsored Links
Avoid DIY places and Google "plywood merchants". In my own area I've bought from Hanson Plywood and Benson's but any trade timber merchant will quote you (that is a timber merchant NOT builder's merchant). Specify Finnish or Scandinavian for the best quality (the Belorussian and Russian stuff - often sold as "Baltic" - has more or less disappeared). One thing, though, "good value" is relative - birch plywood has always been a top end product with a price ticket to match. The only way to get the price down is to bulk buy (i.e a pack's worth, or 20 to 50 sheets depending on the thickness).

BTW the videos you are watching, are they American by any chance? Plywood is a completely different market in the USA and most is produced in the USA, not imported like our supplies

Avoid DIY places and Google "plywood merchants". In my own area I've bought from Hanson Plywood and Benson's but any trade timber merchant will quote you (that is a timber merchant NOT builder's merchant). Specify Finnish or Scandinavian for the best quality (the Belorussian and Russian stuff - often sold as "Baltic" - has more or less disappeared). One thing, though, "good value" is relative - birch plywood has always been a top end product with a price ticket to match. The only way to get the price down is to bulk buy (i.e a pack's worth, or 20 to 50 sheets depending on the thickness).

BTW the videos you are watching, are they American by any chance? Plywood is a completely different market in the USA and most is produced in the USA, not imported like our supplies
Thanks. Videos I watch are from all over really, but yes a fair few of them are from the US.

Sponsored Links
Have to admit I bought a several sheets from a local woodyard a few weeks ago, paid premium prices for stuff that is now barely any better than shuttering ply. Spent half a hour sorting out 4 suitable sheets. After cutting still found voids. In fact the price was about the same as B&Q within a few pennies. With the discount card the B&Q stuff would have been cheaper; sad to say probably better quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back