Where can I get kitchen door dampers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a supplier of kitchen cupboard door dampers (the ones that give a nice silent closing action when the kids start the door slamming)

Also, what would be a "fair" price for supply and fit of a blumotion system to a drawer box as my kitchen supplier seems unwilling/unable to do this - is it something I can do myself after the kitchen is fitted or does this need to be done during installation

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get the dampers from Woodfit 01257 266421.

You can get Blumotion drawer runners at the same place.

I have never been asked to fit them so cannot say what is a fair price to pay.

I would say that the biggest problem in a diy fit is the 45mm hole required in the drawer bottom, all the holes have to be accurate in depth as well as position so really need to be done in a drill press.

Amazingly - woodfit is about 3 miles up the road from me so what a great co-incidence!

Fitter - do I take it then that the system would HAVE to be done during the fitting stage, preferably before the drawer is assembled? Company asking for £25 per drawer to supply and fit this mechanism - I see on the woodfit site its about a tenner to buy so that means theyre looking £15 per drawer to fit.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sponsored Links
The system needs to be fitted before the drawer is assembled, because of the large holes needed on the bottom.

The sides of the cabinet could be done once the unit is installed but it would be much easier to do before, if it is supplied as a flat pack it would be even more easy.

I know £25 seems a lot but I really don't think it's too much, it's only £15 after the parts have been deducted and as I said it's got to be done accurately for it to work properly.

I think if you were having a few done I would try and get the price down by maybe a fiver a unit, don't be surprised if they will not though.

Is THAT what those soft closers for drawers in that tv advert are?

Thought that they were rather nifty.

Anyway, found the (US) Website, may be of interest.

Apart from silent closing, they also allow the whole drawer to be pulled out
and also take upto 50kilos in weight.

Our local B&Q sell the hydraulic dampers. If you look in the kitchen section, at the side where they do all the accessories, the dampers are in packs of 6 for 5 pounds.

Handily enough, they include adapters that push fit into a pair of pre-drilled holes in the carcass. The specification for the hole sizes and positions are exactly the same as for the mounting plates for the hinges. Therefore, when you get your carcass, you decide which side to have the hinges and the other side will already have the holes for the dampers. (ie the holes you would have used had you hung the door on the other side).

Tex, as you say very easy to fit, the only place that requires drilling is if the unit has a center post eg. double wall unit.

I worked at a place that supplied them and people loved them, I managed to get enough for my own kitchen and they really do work.

My wife feels that unless the doors are slammed with enough force to rip the hinges off, then the door is not really closed and they have stopped all that.

I've also seen the dampers in B&Q

Make sure you have got suitable blum drawrunners as the blumotion will only fit their runner. Nova runners can have dampers retrofitted, they use a similar piston to the door buffers that just clicks into the back of the draw side, all you have to do is screw a small bracket to the carcase for it to act against.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back