Where do I start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our bathroom grouting and silicon beading (is that the right word?) has looked grotty for years, and some of the tiles are loose (i.e. they're bouncy).

Here's some video evidence:

This weekend I intend to fix it!

But I've never done this before, so I'm nervous.

So where do I start? As you can see in the video the whole length of the bath needs doing, but can I start around the shower then perhaps do the far end at another time if progress is slow? Our lovely neighbours are away until Monday afternoon so we can use their shower in order to keep ours dry so I have tonight plus Saturday and Sunday.

TIA

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Obviously you will need to remove all the loose tiles first, get off as much adhesive from their back and the wall as you can, then retile. Leave it alone for a day, then grout, and after another day resilicone.

the above suggestions wont work. what you show in the video is to far gone for simple rpairs.
water will have been getting behind the tiles for some time. yo repair one bit and the bit below begins to fail because the background is shot and the adhesive is perished..

what kind of backing are the tiles on - is it plasterboaed?
the 1/4 round on the bath rim are there to cover the gap because the bath is set wrong.
look under the bath for water stains or damage against the three walls.

if it was my job,i wouldnt hesitate,i'd remove the enclosure and all the tiles and redo it all.

Sponsored Links
brown stuff suggests gypsum plaster. after removing the tiles youl see what state the gypsum is in. if its knackered then it has to come off back to brick.
screen or enclosure remove and reset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back