1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Where does the undercloak go in this diagram?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Bob49, 19 Dec 2018.

1. Bob49

Bob49

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

In the type of construction shown here, taken from NHBC Standards 2011:

[​IMG]

The tile battens go from outer rafter to outer rafter, then the bargeboard covers the outer rafter + battens, as the bargeboard is higher than the outer rafter. Is that right?

But where does the underclock/cement board sit?

If the bargeboard is higher than the outer rafter, then the cement board can't go under the battens can it? But if it sits on top of the battens and bargeboard how are the tiles laid onto the battens?

I don't get it.

Bob

2. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've seen and used both methods - i.e. beneath the battens (common) or on top of the battens and bring the fascia up so that it covers the battens. In the latter, you would grind off the outer tile nib as it interferes with the seat, because it will strike the cloak.

You do end up with a more slender verge mortar run with the latter method also.

3. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    could be a slate roof set up then no under cloak required...

4. Bob49

Bob49

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I see, I have this method on my house, the fasica board covers the battens. Thanks, I understand now.

5. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought it was odd, first time I encountered it. Just a regular 1980's profiled interlocking concrete tile roofed estate. Turned out OK as it meant a more manageable verge mortar run.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local