Where fence (with concrete posts and gravel board) meets house .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
me and neighbour are installing new gravel board/concrete post and feather she fencing.

We are in a semi detached property. And what is the best solution where the fence meets wall??

Sponsored Links
A concrete post bolted on wall? Or a wooden one on wall. We are using concrete posts so does it make sense to have a wooden post against wall?

Sponsored Links
As the concrete posts sit in the ground on their own, why do you suppose that the one by the wall needs bolting to it. You're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

And how would you use a gravel board with timber on wall

With a fence clip, of course.

It is done all over the country, every day.

They are galvanised, but if you want them to blend in with the stained fence and post, you can paint them dark brown or other colour of your whim.

If you bolt a wooden post to the wall it does not need to be buried in the ground so it will not rot and snap off every ten years. You can soak each end in wood preserver if you like, before fitting.

You put a concrete post in a hole like the others. If foundations get in the way, then cut the post. If need be, use a couple of bolts to help.

Otherwise a timber post bolted to the wall, kept above ground, and either clips, rebated, or with lath fixed to it to hold the gravel board.

Use concrete every time. Timber is just a faff. Easy for the installer but a maintenance issue for the customer. Plus it means that panel, as well as all the others, can be slid out and painted. We would dig into the foundation concrete and make a seating trough, for the first post.

We also like to the first post concreted in and set (when ever possible) before continuing with the rest of the fence.

if you mean concrete posts and wooden gravel posts then i would stick to concrete on the house as well.

with mine, we have a side gate with a short fence and the neighbour's gate but the same as having a house there.
concrete fence posts have holes drilled through so you could bolt it to the wall but i just dug a hole as normal.
I then used the bolt hole to fix the short fence so the dividing gates were supported.

If you are digging next to the house, you could use a shorter post and bolt it to the house with minimal digging.
I used concrete gravel boards and used a grinder to cut it

If you are using rails then use a concrete post about a foot before your house then over sail the rails so they touch the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back