Where is best to learn about electrics in the house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bought my house, totally gutted it back to the brick work, ceilings down, etc.
Doing as much DIY myself, calling in the experts for the tough/dangerous parts.

With the electrics I would like to do as much of the cheap donkey work myself i.e. in the crawl space laying wires, and then get the expert to actually wire it up and test it.
I know some electricians want to do the whole thing themselves, but I also know that some will do the finishing and certification.
I am drawing plans, going to colour code/tag wires for easy tracing.
However I wish to learn as much as possible about electrics, zoning, driling through joists, depths etc.
This is partly due to money but also geeky knowledge
(and whilst doing things on my house I am learning more about where I want things and moving things, such as sockets, doors, walls.... etc)

So what's the best thing to do
Is there a great how to website or book?
The latest regs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy the on-site guide and electricians guide to building regulations.
You will find current standards, design calculation, clipping distances and methods of fixing and guides to compliance to regulations, joist holing distances and how to calculate them, chasing depths, permitted safe zones etc... in these two guides.
Also check Wiki out //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics.
Make sure you get an electrician on board before you start your work and be aware this work will need to be notified to building controls, either by application (including fee) or self cert electrician.

Sponsored Links
It is the local authority building control (LABC) which cause the problems. Some are very helpful others are a real pain.

I assume you want all the paper work correct so you have two options.
* A scheme member electrician
* LABC
Read what you can then approach the LABC and test out their attitude. Which way you go depends on their attitude.

Liverpool were very helpful and no problems but Flintshire was a real pain in the neck.

Start of buy reading the diynot wiki via the tab at the top of the page :eek:

Section is uk electrics, zones is a good starter point. I'd suggest you bring on board the spark that will cert the work now. Factor in a few one hour visits to watch over you.

He should also design the circuit loads, cable paths, locations, installation methods and a heap of the works that give you very clear indication of what you can do.

Draw up your plans and get the tea and biscuits ready :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back