Where is the best place for the cable to run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the sketch below of a friends conservatory, I have been asked to help install two wall lights. (which translates as me doing the work whilst my friend makes the tea) The light on the west facing wall (not shown) is not a problem, assuming that an area 150mm below a sloping polycarbonate roof-line is still classed as a safe zone, but the east facing wall is more difficult.

The wall where the light is shown is an external cavity wall with stone facing outside and thermal block / dry-lined inside. The outside faces onto a paved patio sitting area, the lighting circuit can be accessed via the main house.

In case anyone wonders about using a fused spur from the sockets, there are two double sockets connected to the house ring in the dwarf walls on the garden facing wall. One is on the ring and the other is a spur from it. It would appear that the cables are in conduit which has been buried in the concrete floor.

The light switch would probably be on the main house wall.

So, what do you reckon guys, where should the cable to the light fitting go?

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So, what do you reckon guys, where should the cable to the light fitting go?
Not all that easy. If you put an accessory (maybe a switch) to the left of the light (fairly near to the door), and horizontally aligned with the light, you could get the cable up to the 150mm safe zone at the top of the wall whilst being entirely within safe zones created by the light and the accessory.

Probably not aesthetically acceptable (for a stone-faced wall by the patio), but I might even be moved to some 'lateral thinking' and take the cable outdoors (across that wall) in conduit!

Kind Regards, John

If you say the light on the West wall is not a problem, then you just have to run a cable from it to the East wall.

As you say, the 150mm. from ceiling is the zone and so is 150mm. from corners.
Apart from those zones, the cable must be vertical or horizontal from the light fittings and switches.

If you say the light on the West wall is not a problem, then you just have to run a cable from it to the East wall.
Indeed - but, as I've implied, since the window above the light precludes going directly up to the safe zone at the top of the wall, one would need an accessory to the left or right of the window (probably left), and aligned with the light, to achieve the required 90 degree bend within safe zones.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. Thanks JohnW2 / EFLImpudence, it's feasible I suppose although if the switch were an accessory, it would possibly be a bit high, perhaps I could find some other illuminated accessory to mount there. I daren't even mention the outside route for the reason you state, I wondered about lifting the patio and running a cable underground then straight up the 'bumpy' wall but it would have to be concealed somehow. Does clematis grow well up an armoured cable? ;)

The switch wouldn't have to be level with the light.
Ah yes of course not, I see what you mean, the switch could be lower, and the area above it safe for a vertical drop, and as the cable from the light would be horizontal until it meets the drop to the switch, also safe. It's not the preferred position for the switch, but if I put a switch where you suggest and put a second switch in the preferred position on the main house wall and made it two way switching, problem solved.

I didn't want to go around the window really because the cable would be behind the blind. So, problem solved. Thanks guys. In the main house hopefully the cable will be under the bedroom floor, if not then in the safe area at the top of the wall.

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

Last edited:
I was trying to avoid the top of the patio wall because of passing behind the blind. If I could have used the garden wall, were it not PVCu then the cable could have dropped in the corner of the garden and patio wall then horizontally to the light without going above the blind. Anyway I think we're sorted now. Thanks :)

Ah yes of course not, I see what you mean, the switch could be lower, and the area above it safe for a vertical drop, and as the cable from the light would be horizontal until it meets the drop to the switch, also safe. It's not the preferred position for the switch, but if I put a switch where you suggest and put a second switch in the preferred position on the main house wall and made it two way switching, problem solved.
The 'accessory' to the left of the light doesn't necessarily have to be a switch in order to create a safe zone. The regs are a bit vague, but I think most people would accept a blank plate (attached to a back box through which the cable travelled), particularly (but I would personally say, not necessarily) if you joined the cable with a connector block behind it. However, you might well think that a switch would look more 'right' than just a blank plate.

Kind Regards, John

What about a wireless switch?

You can buy a system and run the light from the spur.
Fit the wireless receiver powered by the spur
Fit the wireless switch anywhere

What about a wireless switch?
The OP does not have a problem with switching. The issue is that one of the solutions to his problem (with cable routing) would be to install a switch fairly near to the light (to create a safe zone for cable routing), even though he does not really want/need a switch there (he wants the functional switch to be somewhere else).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back