Where is the white gloss that doesn't yellow?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
I hadn't even noticed that this was an old thread...

Hey ho...

Cheers.

I suddenly got an email notification this morning relating to this thread,strange as I wasnt logged-in & I have'nt been for months... :confused:

I can't explain how adding blue seems to stop yellowing I just know it worked for me. I'm in the process of mixing paint to redecorate my house and I'm trying to work out what the maximum blue I can add without it becoming noticeable. I have just tried adding 1ml of blue to 2.5l of white and tried painting two pieces of wood. The original brilliant white looks yellow in comparison whilst the blue white has undetectable blue. Even before any aging or yellowing the blue white looks better. A thought on the reason.... white is the only paint that yellows... others fade but don't yellow as such. Pastel blue doesn't yellow. In fact pastel blue aging is barely discernible. I wonder then if the blue in the white blue mix retaining it's colour through aging doesn't allow the yellowing white to be seen. I'm just guessing really but frankly I'm not that interested in knowing the reason. I'm only interested in what works.

Sponsored Links
This thread is getting even more confusing given that hwdcourts earlier post was deleted by moderator 11.

Come on moderator why did you delete my post about adding blue to white gloss?

Although I pooh-poohed it I saw nothing wrong with the content.

Maybe your very first post elsewhere on this forum looked like spam

What if Dulux supplied the paint or at least the trade branded paints in 'kit' form? So that the operative 'added' the thinner and/or the high VOC medium themselves and effectively puts the components together themselves, therefore relieving Dulux of their lawful obligation to produce this god awful low voc paint.

Dulux trade paints are very good, i think Dulux is very good but 2010 recipe aint good, its not just the yellowing, they take longer to dry and ball up if you try to rub the paint down early. I also think Dulux's reputation has been damaged through inadequate testing of the new product. I'm also getting a bit tired of hearing this natural light excuse, its always been the case that oil based paints will yellow over time and faster without good natural light, but this new stuff goes yellow way to quickly, Dulux are not producing a product that can be relied on. I also hate the shine of the undercoat makes it much easier to get misses in the top coat.
Lastly as far as i'm concerned the water based top coat gloss is not good enough to produce a flawless finish.

Moan over, happy thursday everybody!

I too find white gloss paints yellows far too quickly now. I have just had an extension added to my home and i am not going to paint the new woodwork (going to stain it) because white just doesnt stay white anymore. Cant see the point in painting it white only for it to turns a horrible yellow colour after a few months!!!!

If I can resurrect this one, please. I too have noticed this effect that when I use white gloss (particularly the liquid gloss) in a room that receives no natural light, it yellows within a few months. I have read this is due to lack of UV which stops it curing, so the pigments and the oil base gradually separate. It also explains why it continued to make the familiar smell, for months rather than days.

Quite annoying as it took me hours to sand and gloss the panel door so neatly!

Anyway for such rooms with no possible natural light, I was wondering if anyone has attempted glossing it and then putting a UV lamp in there overnight?

Try Dulux trade oil based satinwood (not as shiny)
Or add a little bit of black to the white gloss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back