Where is this leak coming from!?!?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will start from the beginning......

House is circa 1950's, with a pitched roof (bedroom's in the eaves). Master bedroom wall started sweating, which is the wall directly in front of the chimney breast (chimney is blocked up and no longer in use).

Called insurance, they sent a surveyor who said our flashing was bent and therefore when the rain/wind was going north, the rain was getting in. Gave us settlement sum, and said we could use an external sealant and fix ourselves.

My husband used the sealant, but it didnt work.

So called a roofer. He spent 30 minutes on the roof (the surveyor didnt even go up there), and said it could be 2 things. He completed the following:

New airbrick at the top so the chimney can breathe
New flashing

Wall started drying out a bit, but then we had a downpour and the shadow on the wall changed shape. I called the insurance company and they told me to get the roofer to come back and inspect his work and see if there were any other issues. He came back, couldnt find anything, but coated the chimney stack in something free of charge (sorry I dont know what it is) in case we had porus bricks.

He had told us previously that the was a double chimney as there was a gas cap (?) on top as well as a pepper pot), and we worked out the bottom of that chimney would have been in our dining room (there is already a vent in place of the old fireplace in the living room).

My husband has now added a vent in the dining room, and also a vent in the master bedroom.

Again, we thought it was drying out (we are using a dehumidifier), but after the downpours this weekend the shape of the shadow has changed again and is much darker. Im at my wits end as we cant get on and decorate until this is sorted!

I have called the insurance company again today (!) and they have reopened my claim and will be sending out another surveyor.

In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I am worried the surveyor is going to say he cant find anything wrong when there clearly is!

A little disclaimer - im afraid I dont know anything about roofs/chimneys so all of the above I have just spouted second hand - I hope it still makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Possibly hygroscopic salts in the brickwork (from products of combustion). The salts become damp when there is sufficient humidity in the room, and can look like penetrating damp. ( just a guess as you seem to have done the usual things).

Dont be at your wits end. Why not post pics of the room(s) in question, the roof and the chimney stack? Maybe we could then take you further?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back