where the wall meets the ceiling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst pulling off the blown plaster from my walls, I've noticed where the walls meet the ceiling's, the different types of materials and wondered if anyone could explain to me, what materials these are and why they would have been used in this way...

It appears like plasterboard underneath the grey looking plaster..

thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
What they have probably done was to build out the wall plate which could of been wood. Take off the plaster board and see what you have underneath as you will still have to build it back again. Put some photos up after you have taken it off. If you are keeping the ceiling try not to damage it as you go round the edge to take off the plaster and plaster board...

I wondered what plaster they used on top off the plaster board that turns grey...

I figure based on an old newspaper stuffed behind the skirting board the place was renovated in 1979...

thanks

It would of been a lightweight backing plaster maybe Browning but also could be Bonding plaster .If it is quite "Bitty" then it will be Bonding if it's smoothish then it will be Browning...

Sponsored Links
At that time, basecoat and finishing plasters were grey coloured. The plasters also came in 50kg bags,, 1cwt in old money, bags of cement weighed the same. A bag of Carlite Bonding or Browning plaster, was twice the size in length compared to the British Gypsum bags you get today. Still the best lightweight plasters on the market though, including Hardwall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back