Where to buy a broken window latch?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a broken part on my window. See pic below:

1zWXaO.jpg

I 'think' it's called a window latch?

I search on amazon and found this, can someone tell me if it's the right part to replace:
11hP0vM-NRL.jpg

Sponsored Links
didn't understand what u said :)
you will beak one to order just for me? lol.

still stuck though. :(

Sponsored Links
OK...
I get it now
DOH
I don't want to buy a broken window latch
I want to buy a non broken one

'window latch' is that what i need?
thks

Its a Cockspur handle. Just need to check the depth of the latch but you could just get new cockspur wedges to suit another handle if needed

ok
i learn something new :)

>> cockspur wedges
not sure what you mean?

ALSO... how do i measure the depth?
assuming it will matter if i measure and am a millimetre or 2 out?

let me know
thanks

Cockspur wedge are the little white plastic blocks attached to the frame that the handle pulls in tight too (ramped shape and the yellowed bit in your photo).
The wedges are available in many sizes/depths to accommodate different handles.

Basically you want a thin steel ruler to measure between the window sash and the deepest part of the existing wedge. Usually somewhere between 6-15mm then you will know the handle to buy.
If you cant get the exact size handle just get the nearest and get a pack of assorted wedges too

I'm not a window expert but have had similar problems sourcing new handles to suit mine. The one in your above pic is a cockspur type (defined by the 'thumb' sticking out which holds against the frame). They come in different depths (aka stack heights or stepped heights) as Gazman16 explains. A suitable wedge is stuck/glued (or pegged and stuck/glued) to the frame for the 'thumb' to hold against.

In theory you simply need a suitable handle/wedge 'pair' to suit your stack height and away you go. But beware - the screw holes, the dimensions of the backplate, and the location of the centre spindle might all be different. You want to make sure your new handle backplate will cover the old holes, that new holes can be drilled, and the thumb will still be in line with the middle of your wedge.

If it's any help I ended up using these adjustable ones (but still had to modify them slightly)...
https://www.sealco-scotland.co.uk/product/adjustable-cockspur-window-handle-left-hand-white/

BTW the other type of window handle in your other thread is an espag type (where there's no 'thumb' or wedge etc and the handle operates a mechanism inside the window instead)

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back